These Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins are made with sweet fresh berries and topped with a delicious crumble!
Is there anything better than fresh local berries? I think not. Except baking with them, that’s pretty good too! A couple weeks ago I went with my mom to scoop up some of the last strawberries of summer. An hours worth of work yielded 6 quarts of beautiful and ripe berries. Usually there isn’t a lot of time to work with when it comes to freshly picked berries in the heat of summer, so I knew I needed to work fast. I froze a little more than 5 quarts and chopped up the rest to make these delicious Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins.
I’ve always loved coffee cake, there’s just something about that sweet crumbly topping and the slight dryness of the cake, perfect to pair with your morning cup of coffee. I knew this recipe would be perfect breakfast for our Kiwanis Club as we met up on Sunday morning and started preparing for our local carnival.
The berries, though baked still remain juicy and sweet and the sugar crumble is just so delicious. You want to make sure to use cold butter as that’s what makes it all crumbly! These muffins have are light and fluffy and have just a slight hint of sweetness to them with a vibrant strawberry flavor. They’re best warmed with butter spread on them, or maybe even a little cream cheese.
Though I’ve had plenty, this was my first time actually making muffins with berries in them, usually I bake muffins with a little more spice because I tend to bake them in the fall. Normally I use my summer berries in desserts like my Maine Berry Patch Pie or in drinks like my Ruby Tuesday’s Copycat Raspberry Lemonade, or you know, just eat them straight. You can also make really easy fillings or simple syrups if you’re looking to use your berries up quick! The nice thing about this recipe is that you can use any berry your fancy or even do a mixed berry topping, now doesn’t that sound good? Blueberry and Blackberry season is right around the corner here in Maine, so stayed tuned for more delicious berry recipes!
Yields 12 - 18 Muffins
Lightly sweet muffins with fresh strawberries and a delicious coffee cake crumble.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup Butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Milk or Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup Fresh Strawberries, diced small
- 1/4 cup Butter (cold)
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Preheat over to 375 F.
- Line muffin pan with liners.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla, mixture will be a bit lumpy, that's okay.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add Milk and flour mix, alternating between until incorporated in the butter mix.
- Beat until completely combined.
- Gently fold in about half the strawberries.
- Add about 2 tbsp of batter to each muffin liner.
- Load up the tops of the muffins with remaining strawberries.
- In a mixing bowl, beat crumble ingredients until it looks like, well... a crumble.
- Sprinkle crumble over the strawberries.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 F.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes.
Best consumed within two days.
Adapted from All My Recipes
Post Updated: July 3, 2015
You might also like: