Chocolate meets bourbon in this sweet little cake with a touch of hazelnut. These cakes are so moist and the boozy touch just sends it over the edge!
Who here watches MasterChef? Yeah, Matt and I are pretty much addicted and the kids on MasterChef Junior put me to shame, those are some seriously talented little youngsters. And did you guys see that Joe is leaving the show, who’s going to be mean to everyone now? Anyways, I’m excited to be joining a lovely group of ladies each month for a mystery box challenge inspired by the show.
This month I got to curate a fun list of ingredients for all of us to choose from, obviously bourbon was going on the list and chocolate just seemed like a natural choice and I also chose hazelnuts for my dish. There were 9 other ingredients I could have chosen from too, but I was dreaming up this little cakes and knew the combo was going to be a great one!
So first a little story. Growing up my Grammie always had this bottle with a yellow label that was shaped like a woman in the kitchen. I guess I always thought it was a bottle of syrup or extract or something. However, now I realize that Grammie must have just loved sneaking a little liquor into her baked goods, because it was Frangelico Hazelnut Liquor. I guess you could say the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree because I obviously love working it into mine too.
This recipe is very similar to this one from last week, but made with a bourbon ganache and a hazelnut whipped cream. The chocolate cake was slightly adapted from Ina Garten’s chocolate cake recipe and seriously, this cake is amazing. It’s so moist and chocolatey with a bit of coffee for added richness, Ina sure knows what she’s doing when it comes to cake!
Anyways, I hope you enjoy my first mystery box creation and don’t forget to scroll down and check out the others!
Gluten Free Chocolate Bourbon Hazelnut Cake
- 1¾ cups Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour can equally sub for all purpose if you don't need gluten free
- ¾ cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Freshly Brewed Coffee
- Bourbon Ganache
Hazelnut Whipped Cream:
- Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 oz. Hazelnut Liquor
- 1/2 cup Chopped Hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease mini bundt pan with butter or cooking spray (I prefer coconut oil cooking spray when using mini baking pans)
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl or stand mixer and beat with a wisk just until combined.
- In a separate bowl beat together buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla with a fork.
- Turn mixer on and slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Keep the mixer on low speed and slowly add the coffee into the batter.
- Scrape down sides and mix until fully combined. Batter will appear very runny, this is normal.
- Ladle (or pour if you're just that good) batter into the bundt cake molds about ¾ of the way The cakes do not rise much.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for a few minutes before flipping onto a cooling rack.
- Repeat until batter is gone.
- Prep Ganache and let set for a couple of minutes.
- Dip tops of cakes in ganache.
- Prepare whipped cream recipe with hazelnut liquor and pipe into ganache dipped cakes.
- Top with chopped hazelnuts.
Turtle Krispies Treats from I Dig Pinterest
Dark Chocolate Greek Yogurt Cookies from The Pajama Chef
Chewy Chocolate Hazelnut Granola Bars from I Want Crazy
Dark Chocolate Hazelnut English Toffee from Flavor the Moments
Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Cranberry Buttercrunch from Inspiration Kitchen
Skinny Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Hazelnut
Cranberry Hazelnut Crepe Cake from Blahnik Baker
Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats from The Smart Cookie Cook
Mini Eggnog Cheesecakes with Hazelnut Cookie Crust from The Well Floured Kitchen
Salted Hazelnut Scotcheroos from Yummy Healthy Easy