This Loaded Cauliflower Soup is creamy and delicious! It’s made with fresh cauliflower, sweet onion, and topped with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and sour cream for a healthy meal option.
Preparing and enjoying delicious food is one of the best parts of the holiday season, but in the midst of all that celebrating (and all those leftovers), consuming so much rich food can really start to weigh you down.
You may be trying to stick to lighter meals in between get-togethers, and, you probably want something that’s simple to prepare and can feed the whole family. If this sounds like you, try making Loaded Cauliflower Soup, a healthy recipe that tastes like a fattening indulgence!
While you’d think this creamy soup is loaded with dairy, it’s primarily made of pureed roasted vegetables (shh, don’t tell anyone!). The first step is to cook a handful of bacon slices until crispy, then sauté the onion and garlic in the grease.
This infuses that deep, smoky goodness all throughout the soup, which is one of the reasons it’s so irresistible! Next, the cauliflower is boiled until soft, and it’s all blended into a thick, smooth soup with tons of delicious flavor.
But perhaps the best part about Loaded Cauliflower Soup being able to “load” it however you please! Top each creamy, comforting bowl with a dollop of sour cream, a handful of cheddar cheese, some bacon crumbles, and a sprinkling of chives.
Being able to customize each portion to everyone’s liking makes this a wonderful meal to prepare for the family, and it pairs beautifully with baguettes, crackers, or even tortilla chips!
Is Cauliflower Soup Vegan?
With a few adjustments, this recipe can also be made to cater to vegetarian and vegan diets. Simply omit the bacon, sour cream, and cheese and sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil. Vegans can dress up their bowls with chives, fresh herbs, or vegan cheese. With such a simple, flavorful base, the topping options are endless!
Enjoying seasonal treats is one of the best parts of the holiday season, but you don’t have to sacrifice all your healthy habits! This Loaded Cauliflower Soup is the comfort food in a bowl that you don’t have to feel guilty about.
More Comfort Food Recipes:
More Cauliflower Recipes:
Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- 4 slices thick cut bacon slices* chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups + 1 teaspoon water
- 1 2 lbs head cauliflower trimmed and cut into florets
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese* optional
- chives optional
- sour cream* optional
- In a large dutch oven or pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, leave bacon grease in the pot.
- Add chopped onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in 4 cups of water and half of the cauliflower florets and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining half of the cauliflower and simmer until tender, about 10 more minutes.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds. Return the soup to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Whisk cornstarch with remaining water and then whisk into the soup and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Add more water if need to achieve desired consistency. Add to bowls and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon.
Pin this Cauliflower Soup for Later!