These Orange Marmalade Scones, inspired by A Bear Called Paddington, the classic children’s book, are lightly sweet and simply delicious! Plus they’re ready in just 30 minutes!
I’ve always been an avid reader, and whether you are or not, I think we all have those books that helped shape our childhood. For me, it was Blueberries for Sal, Pony Tales, The Island of Blue Dolphins, Misty of Chincoteague, Ella Enchanted, The Castle in the Attic… okay, okay, you get the idea. There are a lot of books from my childhood that hold a special place in my heart. However, one stands out among the rest: A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond.
You want to know why it stands out to me – because of there’s food involved. Just kidding! Okay, maybe only a little bit. While it is such a sweet and fun set of stories and Paddington is such a great storybook character, it’s the orange marmalade that always brings me back. I simply can’t eat the stuff without thinking of Paddington Bear and his many jars of sweet orange marmalade.
After reading Paddington for the first time, I wanted orange marmalade on everything. Toast, crackers, cookies, I was slightly addicted to the stuff. Yet now, somehow it’s been years since I last had it. Not okay. Last summer when I discovered that they were making a Paddington movie, I may have let out a squeal, and Matt may have looked at me like I had three heads. He just doesn’t get it… oh well, maybe I’m alone in my love of Paddington and marmalade, but I don’t think so.
Anyways, now that the movie is finally coming out on Tuesday, I can’t wait to rush home from work and enjoy it with a batch of these Orange Marmalade Scones. These scones are so simple to make, they take just 30 minutes start to finish, making them the perfect addition to brunch! They’re laced with sweet orange marmalade, dusted in sugar, and finished off with a simple sugar glaze. Like most scones, they’re slightly dry and are best enjoyed with hot tea!
THIS RECIPE NEEDS ADDITIONAL TESTING TO WORK OUT THE ISSUES READER ARE HAVING, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM MAKING THIS RECIPE AT THIS TIME. I WOULD RECOMMEND TRYING MY STRAWBERRY SCONES OR CRANBERRY ORANGE SCONES INSTEAD.
Paddington's Orange Marmalade Scones
- 1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp Milk or Water
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix in the butter cubes and marmalade until mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly mix in half & half until mixture is evenly combined.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead about 10 times, keep a little extra flour on hand should areas of the dough become too sticky to work with.
- Use your hands to pat and mold the dough into an 8-10 inch circle.
- Brush dough with the slightly beaten egg and dust with the remaining tbsp of sugar.
- Use a large knife to cut into 8 wedges, or just score the circle.
- Transfer scones to prepared baking sheet and if you cut them up individually, make sure to space them at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until edges are gold brown.
- Whisk together icing ingredients in a small bowl and then drizzle on baked scones.