Inspired by Sansa's favorite dessert in Game of Thrones, these Lemon Cakes are a delicious and zesty magic cake that separates into different textured layers as it bakes!
OLD RECIPE FOR THOSE WHO WANT IT:
- 4 large eggs, separated/room temp
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup lemon simple syrup (leftover from candied lemons)
- lemon whipped cream
- candied lemons
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whip egg whites until stiff and transfer to a separate bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, vanilla, sugar, and water until light fluffy yellow.
- Add butter and beat for another minute or so.
- Add flour and beat until fully combined.
- Add in milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon syrup until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat in egg whites on low until just incorporated, the batter should look a little clumpy, that's okay.
- Pour batter into a greased 8-inch pan, you can also use a 10 inch round pan, but the layers won't be quite as distinct, like in mine.
- Bake for 60 minutes, remove from oven and let set in pan for at least three hours.
- If you are making small cakes, use a biscuit cutter to cut them out of the large cake.
- Top with the lemon cream and candied lemons.