Sansa’s Lemon Cakes
Inspired by Sansa's favorite dessert in Game of Thrones, these Lemon Cakes are a delicious and zesty magic cake that separates into different textured layers as it bakes!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Cooling/Chill Time6 hrs
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 9 people
Lemon Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Instant Lemon Pudding Mix dry
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and transfer to a separate bowl.
Add the egg yolks, sugar, and water to the mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes until foamy and pale yellow.
Add the melted butter and vanilla and beat for another minute, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the flour and beat until fully incorporated.
Add in the lemon juice and zest and beat until thoroughly mixed. Slowly add in the milk while mixing until fully incorporated.
Gently stir in the egg whites 1/3 at a time but not mixing them completely. You want lumps of eggs whites in the batter so the cake bakes properly.
Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 50 to 70 minutes, the top of the cake should be golden brown and firm to the touch.
Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely to room temperature and then store loosely covered in the fridge for 4 to 12 hours before best results.
Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar. Slice cake into 9 slices and top with the lemon cream recipe below or just plain whipped cream and candied lemons.
OLD RECIPE FOR THOSE WHO WANT IT:
- 4 large eggs, separated/room temp
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup lemon simple syrup (leftover from candied lemons)
- lemon whipped cream
- candied lemons
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whip egg whites until stiff and transfer to a separate bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, vanilla, sugar, and water until light fluffy yellow.
- Add butter and beat for another minute or so.
- Add flour and beat until fully combined.
- Add in milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon syrup until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat in egg whites on low until just incorporated, the batter should look a little clumpy, that's okay.
- Pour batter into a greased 8-inch pan, you can also use a 10 inch round pan, but the layers won't be quite as distinct, like in mine.
- Bake for 60 minutes, remove from oven and let set in pan for at least three hours.
- If you are making small cakes, use a biscuit cutter to cut them out of the large cake.
- Top with the lemon cream and candied lemons.
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 134mg | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 905IU | Vitamin C: 7.1mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 0.8mg