Crockpot Apple Butter
Homemade Crockpot Apple Butter is the perfect way to enjoy the fresh taste of fall apples all season long! Made with apples, sugar, spices, and butter, you can spread it on all your favorite baked goods, mix it into recipes, and more!
Servings: 6 cups
- 6 lbs granny smith apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice1
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons salted butter2
Add the apples, sugars, spice, and vanilla to an 8-quart crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.
Use a stick blender to puree the mixture until smooth.
Add in the butter and cook on low for another 2 hours.
See recipe notes for post-processing options.
- Apple Pie Spice can be substituted for:
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspi
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Butter can be omitted for a dairy-free version.
- Apple Butter Shelf Life:
- Refrigerator: 3 Weeks
- Store in an airtight container.
- Freezer: 6 to 12 months
- How To Freeze Apple Butter: Once it is cool to the touch, ladle it into freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace in each one. Seal the containers and place in the freezer, I like to put a piece of plastic wrap over the top before adding the lid.
- Thaw the apple butter by placing it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Canned: Years
- How To Can Apple Butter: Add hot apple butter into a hot jar, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on the jar and adjust the band to finger-tip tight. Place jar in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Lower the rack into simmering water. Water must cover the tops of the jars by 1 inch. Adjust heat to medium-high, cover the canner and bring water to a rolling boil. Process half-pint or pint jars for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove the cover. Let the jars cool for 5 minutes. Remove the jars from the canner; do not retighten bands if loose. Cool for 12 hours. Check seals. Lids should not press up and down when the center is pressed.
Calories: 582kcal | Carbohydrates: 132g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 534mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 116g | Vitamin A: 515IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 0.9mg