Best Mashed Potatoes
These are The Best Creamy Mashed Potatoes you'll ever make and super easy too! They're loaded with butter, milk, and cream and flavored with garlic and thyme and a touch of salt and pepper!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- additional salt and pepper to taste
Peel and chop the potatoes into 1-inch pieces and place in a large pot with the garlic cloves.
Tie the fresh time sprigs together with thread or bakers twine and add to the pot with the potatoes and garlic.
Add the cream and milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the salt and reduce the heat to a simmer and stir occasionally until the potatoes are tender and falling apart.
Remove from the heat and discard the thyme stems, use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth. Add in the butter and pepper and stir just until melted and combined.
Top with more butter, salt, and pepper, and fresh herbs as desired for serving.
- Potatoes will have some lumps.
- If you decide to add additional cream at the end, make sure it is room temperature so it doesn't cool the potatoes down.
- For super smooth potatoes, run the potatoes through a ricer.
- For whipped potatoes, transfer lightly mashed potato mixture to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on high for 4 to 5 minutes until whipped and smooth.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 155mg | Sodium: 653mg | Potassium: 1058mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1765IU | Vitamin C: 28.7mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 7.6mg