This Hot Toddy recipe can be mixed up at home with simple ingredients like lemon, honey, whiskey, and tea. It's a comforting hot cocktail that can soothe a sore throat, reduce congestion, and aid sleep.
Servings: 1 drink
- 6 ounces hot water
- 1 tea bag1 flavor of choice
- 1 tablespoon honey2
- 1½ ounces liquor3
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice4
- 1 lemon slice4
- 1 cinnamon stick5 optional
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar6 optional
In a mug, add the hot water and tea bag. Steep the tea based on the recommended time on the package.
Remove the tea bag (if you'd like) and add in the honey, give it a quick stir to help it dissolve.
Top off with the liquor and lemon juice, stir to combine and finish with a fresh slice of lemon.
Traditionally, this drink is made with just hot water. But why let that water go to waste when you can add a tea bag to it! If rest is your goal, I’d use an herbal tea or white tea like chamomile or jasmine. However, If you just want to lay on the couch and watch Netflix all afternoon, my favorite flavors are this Peaches and Ginger tea and this African Autumn tea.
A long time natural cough suppressant, your throat will thank you for this thick amber sweetener! It’s best to use local honey, one from the same county you live in, but in a pinch, good store-bought honey will do.
You can choose whichever liquor, some of the more popular options include whiskey, brandy, white or dark rum, scotch, and gin. I personally prefer either Bourbon or Irish Whiskey.
This vibrant citrus is a key component of a cold-busting toddy no matter how you mix the other ingredients. It’s important that you use fresh lemon juice and not the bottled stuff. The lemon juice added to hot water or tea can help to reduce congestion.
- This is truly up to you, for me, I use tea, while those who use just straight up hot water may decide to add a cinnamon stick or whole cloves to their toddies for additional spice.
- I personally like the taste of my hot toddies, but some people like them to really pack a punch and they add Raw Apple Cider Vinegar to them, about 1 to 2 tablespoons should be plenty if you decide to try it out.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Sodium: 9mg | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin C: 5.8mg