Salt Baked Sweet Potatoes
Salt Baked Sweet Potatoes are deliciously tender on the inside with a crispy and salty skin. Herbs and garlic add delicious flavor to this traditional side dish!
Servings: 8 people
- 2 cups coarse sea salt1,2
- 4 medium sweet potatoes cleaned and dried
- 1 garlic bulb3
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil4
Preheat oven to 450°F and add salt to a large lipped baking dish, I usually use a 9x13-inch baking pan. Make sure salt is evenly spread over the surface.
Add the potatoes to the salt, nestling them into it.
Slice the top of the bulb of garlic off and place it cut side up in the pan.
Add herbs around the potatoes.
Brush the potatoes all over the exposed skin with canola oil.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove aluminum foil and herbs and set the garlic to the side, then brush the potatoes with the remaining oil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Use sea salt instead of kosher salt for better flavor.
- Coarse salt is easier to use because it brushes off the skin easier than fine salt.
- The roasted garlic can be used as a topping for the potatoes or to spread on rolls.
- I use canola oil instead of olive oil and really liked the results because when cooked at high temperatures over a long period of time, olive oil can turn butter. Vegetable oil will also work.
Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 9222IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg