Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Easy and flavorful Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe are drenched in a tangy sauce of brown sugar, pineapple, soy sauce, vinegar, and yellow peppers.
Servings: 5 people
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- water see recipe
- 1 (20 oz. can) crushed pineapple in pineapple juice juice and pineapple divided
- ⅓ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 6 cups cooked rice for serving
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a rimmed cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl mix together the meatball ingredients.
Form the ground beef mixture into 1-inch round balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
Whisk the cornstarch and sugar together in a medium saucepan.
Add the soy sauce, vinegar, and the juice from the can of pineapple to a measuring cup and top off with enough water to make 1 cup, if needed.
Heat on medium heat, stirring regularly until the sauce thickens.
Add the meatballs, crushed pineapple, and yellow peppers and continue cooking until everything is hot, about 2 minutes more.
Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with fresh chopped parsley or enjoy over quinoa, on a salad, in a sub roll, sliced on pizza, or as an appetizer!
Frozen meatballs can be the basis for a last-minute dinner on a weeknight or in a pinch! There are a few ways to do this:
- Leftover meatballs can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer (in a freezer bag) for up to 3 months.
No matter which option you choose, make sure the meatballs and/or sauce are completely cooled before freezing. Pack them in gallon bags and squeeze out excess air before stashing them in the freezer.
Reheat meatballs and sauce together in a saucepan on the stove.
If you’re only warming the meatballs, cover them with foil to keep them moist. Set the oven to 300°F and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Cook the meatballs and sauce separately then freeze them in separate bags, combining them once they’re thawed. They can be put in a pot and warmed together.
- Combine the meatballs and sauce immediately and freeze them altogether.
- Make just the meatballs, freeze them, and make the sauce fresh.
Calories: 841kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 194mg | Sodium: 823mg | Potassium: 666mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 5mg