This Whiskey Sour Recipe is my favorite version of the classic cocktail. Made with bourbon and homemade sour mix, I like adding a frothy egg white — which technically makes it a Boston Sour!
Servings: 1 drink
- 2 ounces Bourbon whiskey
- 1½ ounces sour mix
- 1 egg white
- 1 maraschino cherry for garnish
Add bourbon, sour mix, and egg white to a cocktail shaker and shake vigourously for 15 seconds.
Add ice and shake for an additional 15 seconds until the egg white becomes foamy.
Pour into an old fashioned cocktail glass and garnish with a brandied maraschino cherry.
- You can add less egg white or omit it entirely if preferred.
- This cocktail is made with a dry shake (no ice), and after the initial shake, you add ice and shake vigorously for an additional 15 seconds to chill the drink. This is what allows the egg white to foam and add a creaminess to the cocktail.
Substitutions & Variations:
- Make it vegan: Whether you have dietary restrictions or the egg white just weirds you out, you can get that frothy consistency with aquafaba. This is just a fancy word for chickpea water, and you can get it by draining a can of chickpeas.
- Omit the eggwhite/aquafaba: Then you’ll have a traditional Whiskey Sour.
- Quick sour mix: No time to make it? Mix up a ½ ounce each: fresh lime juice, fresh lemon juice, and sugar (about 2 tablespoons) or simple syrup. Just add the bourbon, juice, and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker and shake.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 75mg | Potassium: 49mg | Sugar: 33g | Iron: 2mg