Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes are filled with delicious tangy flavor! The potatoes are roasted in the oven until tender, then mashed with butter, buttermilk, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
Servings: 10 people
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Clean and poke holes all over the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on the prepared baking sheet.
Roast the potatoes for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan.
Once cool enough to touch, remove the skin of the potatoes. Place the peeled potatoes in a large mixing bowl and mash. I find that using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer gives the best results but you can use a hand masher.
Add in the melted butter, buttermilk, mustard, salt, and pepper and beat until combined.
- Stored in an airtight container, they should keep in the fridge for about 4 days.
- Substitutions & Variations:
- Sub sour cream: If you don’t have buttermilk, sour cream adds similar creaminess and tang to this dish.
- Add spices: For more flavor, try adding your favorite spices like cayenne or onion powder or try herbs like fresh thyme, rosemary, or sage.
- Make it sweet and savory: For a touch of sweetness, add 1/4 cup brown sugar, which compliments the dijon (similar to how honey mustard tastes so good!).
- Make it Sweet: Swap the dijon for maple syrup.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 735mg | Potassium: 787mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 32479IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 1mg