Onion Gravy is the finishing touch for your Thanksgiving plate! Roasted onions and turkey drippings are blended with flour, butter, herbs, and chicken stock for an easy and flavorful gravy.
Servings: 8 people
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter OR 4 tablespoons if not using turkey recipe
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups turkey drippings or stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme fine chop
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley fine chop
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Making from Turkey Breast Recipe: Separate the drippings from the onions. If using a cast-iron skillet, place it back onto the stove over medium-low heat. Or, place a clean skillet on the stove. Add the butter to the pan with the onions and let melt.
Making without Turkey Breast Recipe: Add 4 tablespoons butter and onions to a large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the desired color is reached on the onions. It can be ready to go to the next step as soon as the onions are softened and reach a very light golden brown color, 10-15 minutes. For dark golden brown caramelized onions, this can take up to 2 hours.
Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
You will need two cups of liquid, measure how much drippings you have, and add enough stock to make 2 total cups. If you are not using drippings, use 2 cups of stock. Slowly whisk in the liquid to the pan, bring to a simmer and simmer until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Take off the heat, stir in the fresh herbs. Taste, adjust seasoning if necessary.
- This recipes makes about 2 1/2 cups of gravy and should serve 8 to 9 people.
- Prep and cook times will vary depending on the method that is used. Estimates on the recipe card are based on using this recipe with the turkey breast.
- This gravy is good for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Cold gravy has a gelatinous texture, and no one wants that! To make it liquid again, warm it on low in a saucepan or skillet, stirring until it simmers.
Calories: 59kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 87mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 99IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg