Southern Cornbread Dressing (otherwise known as Cornbread Stuffing) is a delicious take on a classic Thanksgiving side dish. This recipe is made with stale Buttermilk Cornbread then flavored with herbs, spices, and bacon!
Servings: 9 people
- 1 batch Buttermilk Cornbread stale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 celery stalks finely diced
- fresh thyme
- fresh sage finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 6 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- fresh chives finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup salted butter melted
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 10x10-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
Cut the cornbread up into 1-inch cubes and place in a large bowl; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the diced onion, celery, thyme, and sage and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add in the garlic paste and chopped bacon and cook for 1 additional minute, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn't burn.
Add the vegetable and bacon mixture to the bowl with the diced cornbread, then add in the chives, and salt and toss to combine.
In a separate large bowl, beat together the chicken stock, milk, eggs, and black pepper. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the cornbread along with the melted butter and gently toss to coat.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and then bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- I highly recommend using the cornbread recipe that's linked in the card for the best flavor and texture, but any 8x8-inch cornbread recipe will do.
- I like to bake my cornbread two days in advance and let it sit out for a couple of days to get stale. If you do not prepare it in advance, you can cube it up after the first bake and then place the pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.
- All chicken stock or all milk may be used in this recipe.
- Bacon can be omitted.
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 368mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg