Homemade French Fries
These Homemade French Fries hit your table in under 35 minutes after being double fried to a beautiful, crisp golden brown! Pair these crunchy french fries with your favorite burger, chicken tenders, or with a tasty slab of fried fish!
Servings: 4 people
- 2½ pounds potatoes
- 2 quarts vegetable oil or other frying oil
- salt to taste
Line a large plate or baking sheet with paper towels, set aside.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into thick, even strips, or use a French fry cutter.
Wash the fries thoroughly until the water runs clear and pat them as dry as possible with paper towels.
Heat up the oil in a big pot. If using a deep fryer put it on 320°F. If you're using a pot and don't have a thermometer, you can use a wooden stick such as the handle of a wooden spoon. Hold it into the oil, when you see little bubbles forming around it and rising, it´s hot enough.
When the oil is hot enough, add half of the potatoes and cook them for about 4 minutes until they just start to get some color. Remove them from the oil to your prepared paper towel and repeat with the remaining half.
Let the fries cool for 15 minutes, then raise the heat to 350°F and fry the fries a second time in two batches until golden brown.
Place them on fresh paper towels and sprinkle generously with salt and serve hot.
- If you use either more waxy (like Yukon Gold) or more starchy potatoes (like russet) totally depends on your personal taste. More starchy potatoes have less water and will get crispier outside and more fluffy on the inside. Waxy potatoes will have a more creamy texture inside.
- Depending on the size of your pot you might need to make more than 2 batches. You don´t want to add too many because they will stick to the bottom of the pot. Also adding too many will cause the oil to cool down too much. Don´t fill up the pot more than half with oil.
- If you want to keep them warm while you prepare something else, place them in your oven at 120-140°F.
- You can peel and cut the potatoes ahead. Leave them in cold water until needed - no longer than around 12 hours. Then proceed with step 4.
Calories: 218kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 1194mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg