This classic French Baguette recipe uses 4 simple ingredients to make long loaves of crusty bread that have a tender and chewy inside! Perfect when paired with butter, jam, or cheese!
Servings: 3 loaves
- 2½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water between 105°-110°F
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
Combine the yeast with the warm water until it has totally dissolved and bubbles.
In a large bowl, combine the flour with the salt together.
Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until no flour patches are visible.
Cover and let proof for 90 minutes in a warm area or until dough has at least doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 475°F and place the dough on a floured surface and cut into three even pieces.
With the help of a bench scraper place it in your baguette pan.
Place an oven-safe bowl on the lower oven rack. Place the baguette pan on the middle rack and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- The dough is very soft and sticky you won't be able to form it with your hands.
- Don't knead your dough and handle carefully to not destroy the air bubbles that have developed.
- The water in the bowl will heat up and cause steam which makes the bread crispier outside and fluffier inside.
- Variations/how to switch it up You can add olives, sundried tomatoes, or seeds to make different tasty versions.
- Can I make this ahead? Yes, you can prepare the dough and keep it in the fridge overnight. Go on with step 5. Can I make more to feed a crowd? Sure, just double or triple the ingredients and bake in batches or using more baguette pans.
Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 100g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1176mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 6mg