Tik Tok Smoked Queso Dip
This Smoked Queso Dip is the viral TikTok appetizer recipe loaded with spicy and smoky flavor made with ground beef, cheese, peppers, onion, taco seasoning, cream, and cilantro that's cooked in the smoker in just 1 hour!
Servings: 20 people
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning divided
- 16 oz block Velveeta cheese cut into cubes
- 8 oz cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1½ cups shredded mexican cheese
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 2 tbsp adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 jalapenos sliced
- 2 banana peppers sliced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 (10oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies drained
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro + more for garnish
Place a cast iron skillet inside the smoker. Preheat the smoker to 400°F for 15 minutes.
Add 1 tbsp olive oil and ground beef to the skillet. Break meat apart and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning over the meat. Close the lid. Cook until browned, about 15 minutes, stopping halfway through to break the meat apart and turn. Drain and set aside.
Lower the smoker to 375°F.
Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients. Cut the Velveeta and cream cheese into 1” cubes. Mince the chipotle peppers, slice the jalapenos (remove the seeds of the jalapenos to cut down on spice if desired) and slice the banana peppers. Dice the red onion and drain the canned diced tomatoes with green chilies.
Add all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream and cilantro into a large tin foil disposable dish. Place in the smoker and close the lid. Cook for 20 minutes. Stir the ingredients to combine, and pour in the heavy cream and cilantro. Stir again and close the lid. Cook for 25 more minutes.
Carefully remove the dip from the smoker. Garnish with pico de gallo and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
- If you don't have heavy cream, whole milk or evaporated milk may be used instead.
- Monterey Jack can be used in place of Mexican cheese.
- Can I Make It Without A Smoker?
Yes, absolutely! We made this recipe using a Traeger electric smoker, but you can make this on a regular grill, in the oven, or even in a slow cooker.
If you decide to use a regular grill, you could always invest in a grill box and some Mesquite wood chips. And if you go the oven or crockpot route, you could add a little liquid smoke to the recipe.
- Smoked Queso Recipe Variations:
- Vegetarian - Just omit the meat or feel free to substitute it with a plant-based alternative. Leaving out the beef will also cut the cooking time down to just 45 minutes!
- Sausage - Swap the ground beef for a delicious ground sausage!
- Mild - Don't want a ton of heat? Go ahead and swap the banana or jalapeno peppers for a diced bell pepper.
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 626IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 206mg | Iron: 1mg