Hummingbird Cake is a classic recipe made with mashed bananas, crushed pineapple, and shredded coconut, and it’s topped with a creamy caramel cream cheese frosting and pecan pieces!
Servings: 20 people
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
Add the mashed banana, crushed pineapple, vegetable oil, eggs, coconut, and vanilla and mix just until combined.
Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and spread out evenly. Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 1 hour before frosting.
In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese and butter together. Scrape down the sides.
Add the caramel, vanilla, and salt and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Gradually add in the powdered sugar until fully combined.
Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake and top with pecan pieces.
- Room Temperature: You can store covered for 2 to 3 days.
- Refrigerated: You can store covered for 5 to 7 days.
- Freezer: Leave the frosting off before freezing. Simply bake the cake and allow to cool to room temperature before double wrapping with plastic wrap and then wrapping once more with aluminum foil and freezing for up to 3 months. Frost before serving.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 218mg | Potassium: 192mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 43g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.2mg