Chocolate Toll House Pie
Chocolate Toll House Pie consists of a chocolate cookie filling on a buttery pie crust. Loaded with chocolate chips and walnuts, it tastes delicious served warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Servings: 10 people
Preheat oven to 325°F.
In a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs on high speed until foamy.
In a separate bowl, whisk together a ½ cup of the flour with the cocoa powder, sugars, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the eggs and mix just until combined, the batter will be runny.
Add in the softened butter and whip on medium speed for 1 minute, then increase to high for 1 minute. The batter should be thick and silky.
Add the chocolate chips and walnuts to a medium bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour.
Add the chocolate chips and nuts to the batter and gently fold them in, then transfer the batter to the pie crust and spread out evenly.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Use a pie crust shield during the first 30 to 40 minutes of baking so you don't burn the edges.
Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.5 Top with chocolate whipped cream or frosting before serving or serve with ice cream.
- It's important that the eggs are room temperature for this recipe because it's going to allow them to properly emulsify with the other ingredients and help the filling rise. This is especially important in this recipe since there are no leavening agents used.
- In the original Toll House Pie recipe, salted butter is used and no salt is added. However, I prefer to have more control over the salt content of my baked goods. But if all you have is salted butter, it should work just fine, just make sure to omit the added salt.
- Walnuts can be omitted or you can use different nuts if desired.
- You can use your favorite homemade pie crust recipe or a storebought one. Just make sure to thaw it prior to adding the batter if it was originally frozen.
- You can serve this pie warm, however, I recommend letting it sit for the full to hours so it is set and sliceable, then you can warm up slices in the microwave before serving.
Calories: 503kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 349mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 521IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 2mg