Hot Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
These Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are loaded with sweet marshmallows and chocolate flavor! They even have hot cocoa mix in them and are the perfect no-bake treat for winter!
Servings: 24 people
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup hot cocoa powder mix
- 10 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 9 cups Cocoa Krispies Cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dehydrated marshmallows
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles optional
Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray and set aside.
Melt the butter, hot chocolate powder, and 8 cups of mini marshmallows in a large pot, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the marshmallows have melted.
Add in the Cocoa Krispies, vanilla, and the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, use another piece of parchment to put on top of the treats and gently press the mixture into the pan, don't press down too hard or you'll end up with hard treats.
Sprinkle the dehydrated marshmallows, chocolate chips, and sprinkles on top of the treats and lightly press them in.
Allow the treats to cool for about 20 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing into 24 pieces.
- Use Parchment: This helps prevent the treats from sticking. You could use greased aluminum foil but I don't like running the risk that it gets stuck to it. Also, using the parchment to press the mixture keeps your hands clean and puts a light barrier between your fingers and the heat of the mixture.
- Don't Press Too Hard: You want your treats to be firm, but still chewy. Pressing too hard on the mixture when you put it in the pan will cause treats to become tough.
- Pick Your Butter: Normally you use unsalted butter when making desserts. But when it comes to Rice Krispie Treats, I prefer to use salted, because half the deliciousness is from the salty buttery taste. However, you can use unsalted and add salt as needed or sprinkle the treats with sea salt just before serving.
- Add Vanilla: This isn't an overly common ingredient in Rice Krispies Treats, but it should be because it amplifies the flavor of the marshmallows and makes them taste that much better!
- Reserve Some Marshmallows: I don't like to melt all of the marshmallows into the mixture, I always reserve 2 cups to go in with the cereal because this leaves little pockets of marshmallow goodness throughout the treats. You can add in a couple more cups if you really want to load these babies up with marshmallows!
- Slice Just Before Serving: To ensure that your treats to get dried out or crispy around the edges, slice them just before serving!
- Shelf Life: Once they have been cut up, any that are not enjoyed immediately can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 21mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg