I’ve been dreaming up these Coconut Oreo Fudge Cupcakes for a long time now. I must have first discovered the Coconut Delight Oreo Fudge Cremes more than a year ago and brought them home to share with my chocolate coconut loving husband. They were soooo good! But you know me, I can’t leave a good thing alone… I need to make it better.
I know I’ve already shared a recipe for Dark Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes, but these are a little bit different. While made with the same cake, the frosting is creamier, sweeter, and way more fun! I love using Oreo’s in my cupcakes, like in these Golden Oreo Cupcakes from a couple of weeks ago, but I knew I’d have to do a bit of a different take with the Coconut Cremes because they’re chocolate covered. I decided to use them more as inspiration for the recipe rather than an ingredient. So I made a whipped cookies and cream frosting with a hint of coconut to accent the fudgy cake! Of course I had to top it with a cookie though, they just didn’t seem right without it!
[Tweet “Coconut Oreo Fudge Cupcakes – Get the recipe! @oreo #oreo #cupcakes #dessert”]
After Jennifer’s contributor post from last month for Mango Coconut Oreo Fudge Creme Ice Box Cake, I was reinspired to finally make these. I thought they’d be perfect for a recent get together with friends where I also brought my Sweet Broccoli Salad. Matt was teasing me because of how much time it took for my to frost them, he was able to take a shower in the time it took me to frost 14 cupcakes. Whether I take forever or he takes quick showers… I’m not saying, but I wanted them to be perfect. It was like watching something you’ve dreamed about forever finally coming together (okay, now I’m just being ridiculous, I know).
Matt kept asking me when I’d be done taking photos for the blog so he could have one… I think he asked 3 times over the course of 20 minutes! I also shared a little behind the scenes on Instagram so you could check out the set up for how I got the first photo in the post as well as the one below. I also showed Matt and his friends the right way to eat a cupcake you would have thought they’d just won the lottery!
Coconut Oreo Fudge Cupcakes
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3.9 oz. Package Jell-O Instant Chocolate Fudge Pudding Mix
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Mini Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1/3 cup Oreo Cookies n' Cream Instant Pudding Mix
- 10 Chocolate Wafers or Oreo Cookies no cream
- 1 tbsp Coconut Extract
- 24 Coconut Delight Oreo Fudge Cremes
- Shredded Coconut
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line cupcake pan.
- Combine cupcake ingredients in mixing bowl and beat until well combined, making sure to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add about 2 tbsp of batter to liners so they're about 3/4 full.
- Reduce oven to 350 F.
- Bake cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
- Let set in pan for a couple of minutes before transferring to oven rack to finish cooling.
- Combine heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, pudding mix and coconut extract in mixing bowl and beat until frosting starts to take shape but peaks aren't quite formed.
- Crush wafers or oreo cookies in a food processor until fine.
- Add majority of powdered cookies into the cream mix (leave some for topping), continue beating until well incorporated and stiff peaks form.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and sprinkle with remaining cookie powder and shredded coconut.
- Finish off with a Coconut Delight Oreo Fudge Creme Cookie in each one!