This post brought to you by Sargento® Cheese. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Sugar & Soul.
A Classic Patty Melt is a comfort food staple – a juicy burger with Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, and bread – and there’s no reason you can’t make delicious ones right at home!
Sometimes you just need a burger. And sometimes you just need a grilled cheese. And sometimes you just want both at the same time, that’s where the Patty Melt comes in. A delicious and juicy beef patty sandwiched between cheese and bread with a helping of caramelized onions for a meal that’s sure to hit the spot. Add tomatoes and pickles for extra flavor!
A few years ago my husband came up with this *ingenious* recipe for a grilled cheeseburger, combining a cheeseburger with a grilled cheese. When I tried to explain to him that the concept already existed and it was called a Patty Melt, he wasn’t having any of it! I have finally convinced him, but he claims his would never have caramelized onions on it because that’s a crime… for me, that’s the best part, next to the cheese, anyway!
I love Patty Melts and usually, that’s what I order if we go to an area pub for dinner. But are Patty Melts Irish? I’m not sure. Maybe they’re just another American mashup, a melting pot of sorts. With possible American and Irish roots, this patty melt recipe then adds on Canadian white bread and Sargento Swiss Cheese for a delicious pan cooked meal that will speak to all your taste buds.
I absolutely love Sargento® Sliced Cheese. When it comes to sliced or shredded cheese, I want cheese that is both real and flavorful and also an affordable price and Sargento meets all of those needs. Did you know that Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food like American singles is only required to be made with 51% real cheese? But Sargento is 100% real, natural cheese!!! Plus, they have a great selection of flavors, so obviously it’s the cheese I’ll always keep on hand in my kitchen!
Follow Sargento on Instagram and Facebook. And don’t forget to try Sargento Cheese on my Oven Burgers or Pizza Sliders!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 large onion halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper as desired to season meat
- 8 slices white bread or bread of choice
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Sandwich pickles
- Sliced Tomato
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook slowly until the onions are golden brown and soft, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and some salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties on both sides until totally done in the middle.
- Assemble the patty melts this way: Slice of bread, slice of cheese, hamburger patty, a quarter of the cooked onions, another slice of cheese and another slice of bread. Don't forget to add in the tomato and pickles as a layer, if desired.
- On a clean griddle or in a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and grill the sandwiches until golden brown. Remove the sandwiches and add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet. Return the sandwiches to the skillet, flipping them to the other side. Cook until golden brown and crisp, and until the cheese is melted. Slice in half and serve immediately!
- Add desired condiments to the side of plate for dipping.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
Share your thoughts!
Love this recipe? Share your thoughts with me below and leave a review! And don’t forget to connect on your favorite social platform below!
Comments & Reviews
I remember thinking of the idea of a patty melt when I was younger and feeling like a complete genius too! They are the best way to eat a burger!
Oh for sure they are!