This Brown Sugar Simple Syrup is the perfect addition to specialty coffees, boba, and cocktails! Made with just 3 ingredients on the stovetop it’s an easy way to add sweet, rich brown sugar flavor to drinks.
Classic Simple Syrup made with white sugar has been a staple in my kitchen for years – I use it weekly – but it just got some competition with this Brown Sugar Simple Syrup!
Why I love this Homemade Brown Sugar Syrup Recipe
- Easy – Making this recipe is super simple. All you need is dark brown sugar, water, and vanilla. Bring to a simmer in a small saucepan and let cool before using – that’s it!
- Flavorful – The rich, deep flavor of brown sugar is something most people love and associate with baked goods such as my Brown Sugar Blackberry Coffee Cake or Pumpkin Pound Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze but this recipe lets it easily flavor drink too!
- Long-Lasting – This recipe will stay good for up to a month which is plenty of time for me to add it to drinks without needing to make a second batch (unless I use it all because it’s that good)!
This is absolutely delicious. The 2:1 brown sugar to water ratio worked best for me, but I started with the 1:1 ratio as stated in the recipe. 1:1 is definitely the best place to start as not everyone likes their drinks as sweet as I do. Mixed it with some half and half to make creamer. So so good. Thanks for this!
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup ingredients
Simple syrup is made with two ingredients: sugar and water. But you can get really creative with simple syrups be infusing them with herbs or fruit to add even more flavor.
In this particular recipe, we’re using dark brown sugar and water and I like to add a teaspoon of vanilla to really smooth out and heighten the flavor.
How to make Brown Sugar Syrup
Make simple syrup is incredibly simple 😉 all you need to do is combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Turn off the heat and add in the vanilla then let cool to room temperature before bottling up.
Favorite ways to use Simple Syrup with Brown Sugar
We love using this simple syrup in coffee recipes like
- Secret Menu Cookie Butter Latte
- Starbucks Copycat Shaken Brown Sugar Oatmilk Espresso
- Homemade Iced Caramel Macchiato (makes a great sub for the vanilla syrup)
If you love making homemade simple syrups as much as I do, here are a few more recipes to try!
Homemade Brown Sugar Syrup storage
This homemade simple syrup recipe should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. We find a bottle or jar with a lid is best so it’s easy to pour out.
How long does brown sugar simple syrup last in fridge?
It will last for 3 to 4 weeks.
How long is simple syrup good for?
It should remain good for 3 to 4 weeks. It will stay good at room temperature for a few days if necessary.
Homemade Syrup with Brown Sugar FAQs
Of course! Yet the thought had never occurred to me until about 8 years ago when I ordered a “Cold Jar” from a local coffee shop and it was made with brown sugar and by far the best iced coffee/latte I had ever had. But now, I’m a total believer and it seems the rest of the world is too!
Yes, this recipe will show you how to make homemade simple syrup with brown sugar. You can use either light or dark.
Just Brown Sugar Simple Syrup. Some people assume that Demerara Syrup is made with brown sugar, but it’s actually made from demerara sugar which is technically a brown sugar in appearance (unprocessed coarse pure cane sugar) but it is not what is commonly referred to as brown sugar whisk contains the addition of molasses to give it it’s flavor and color.
This syrup will be runny. It’s not thick like maple syrup. However, if you want a thicker syrup, you can use double the amount of sugar.
For a classic simple syrup, you’ll use a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water. For rich simple syrup, you’ll use a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water.
More Recipes from Sugar and Soul
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges and win prizes!
Brown Sugar Syrup Recipe
- Add the dark brown sugar and water to a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves and it begins to simmer, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup water
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Let the syrup cool to room temperature in the pan for about 1 hour.
- Bottle into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- You can make a stronger and syrupier syrup by doing a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water, this will stay good for up to 6 months in the refrigerator.