This Brown Sugar Simple Syrup is the perfect addition to specialty coffees, boba, and cocktails! Made with just 3 ingredients on the stovetop it’s an easy way to add sweet, rich brown sugar flavor to drinks.
Classic Simple Syrup made with white sugar has been a staple in my kitchen for years – I use it weekly – but it just got some competition with this Brown Sugar Simple Syrup!
Why I Love This Recipe
- Easy – Making this recipe is super simple. All you need is dark brown sugar, water, and vanilla. Bring to a simmer in a small saucepan and let cool before using – that’s it!
- Flavorful – The rich, deep flavor of brown sugar is something most people love and associate with baked goods such as my Brown Sugar Blackberry Coffee Cake or Pumpkin Pound Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze but this recipe lets it easily flavor drink too!
- Long-Lasting – This recipe will stay good for up to a month which is plenty of time for me to add it to drinks without needing to make a second batch (unless I use it all because it’s that good)!
Simple syrup is made with two ingredients: sugar and water. But you can get really creative with simple syrups be infusing them with herbs or fruit to add even more flavor.
In this particular recipe, we’re using dark brown sugar and water and I like to add a teaspoon of vanilla to really smooth out and heighten the flavor.
How To Make Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
Make simple syrup is incredibly simple 😉 all you need to do is combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Turn off the heat and add in the vanilla then let cool to room temperature before bottling up.
Can I Make A Large Batch?
Yes, absolutely! Just double or triple the recipe and use a saucepan that’s appropriate for the amount you’re making.
Can I Make It Sweeter?
Yes! A 1:1 ratio is pretty standard for simple syrup but if you want it sweeter and slightly thicker, you can use a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water
Can I Use Light Brown Sugar?
Yes, you can. However, I found that I much preferred the intensity of the dark brown sugar flavor.
How Long Is It Good For?
This recipe as written with a 1:1 ratio will stay good in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. If you’re using a 2:1 ratio then it will actually keep longer, up to 6 months in the refrigerator.
If you love making homemade simple syrups as much as I do, here are a few more recipes to try!
Brown Sugar Simple SyrupPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the dark brown sugar and water to a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves and it begins to simmer, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Let the syrup cool to room temperature in the pan for about 1 hour.
- Bottle into an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 1 month.
- This simple syrup should be stored in the refrigerator.
- You can make a stronger and syrupier syrup by doing a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water, this will stay good for up to 6 months in the refrigerator.