This Iced Caramel Macchiato is a Starbucks Copycat Recipe that’s made right at home with espresso, milk, vanilla syrup, and caramel sauce! Take your first sip in just 3 minutes!
Why you’ll love Caramel Iced Macchiato
This Iced Caramel Macchiato drink has a bottom layer of sweet vanilla simple syrup that’s topped with milk before adding in the bittersweet espresso on top! Then just finish it off with a drizzle of buttery caramel syrup, easy enough right?
When it comes to this Iced Caramel Macchiato Starbucks Copycat Recipe you’ll love that combining only 4 ingredients right at home delivers you the same taste you get at Starbucks! The only difference is that it’s cheaper and way more convenient than waiting in that long drive-thru line and let’s be honest, that line can get really LONG!
If you’ve never even tried an Iced Caramel Macchiato now is your chance! There’s a reason this sweet, creamy coffee drink is one of the most popular go-to orders at Starbucks!
Caramel Macchiato Iced ingredients
Making this Iced Caramel Macchiato Recipe at home is a lot easier than some may think! To start you need just a few ingredients:
- Vanilla Simple Syrup – I used Torani Vanilla Syrup but you could also use a sugar-free vanilla syrup if you’re looking to save on calories!
- Milk – Feel free to use what you have on hand! I prefer using whole milk but non-fat milk, almond milk, or even soy milk are also popular options.
- Espresso – If you want a more authentic Starbucks flavor then grab their Starbucks Dark Roast Espresso!
- Ice – To keep the drink chilled! Serve with Coffee Ice Cubes so it doesn’t get watered down!
- Caramel Sauce – For that sweet drizzled topping! I love using Ghirardelli Creamy Caramel Sauce, yum!
Once you have your ingredients you can make this in your favorite glass to enjoy at home or toss it in your favorite tumbler for on the go!
Iced Caramel Macchiato Recipe substitutions and variations
Feel free to use your favorite milk in this recipe, some options are:
- 2% Milk
- Skim Milk
- Almond Milk
- Oat Milk
- Soy Milk
- Cashew Milk
Using anything other than vanilla syrup and caramel sauce means this drink is no longer a traditional caramel macchiato, however, you can definitely use it as a base to make other macchiato recipes.
We love using caramel flavor syrup and chocolate sauce for a more indulgent twist.
And Homemade Brown Sugar Simple Syrup with caramel sauce is another favorite of ours!
What Can I Use Instead Of Espresso?
If you don’t have an espresso machine at home here are a few substitutes ideas:
- Dark roast coffee
- Instant espresso
If you want to invest in your own machine, this is the Espresso Machine I have and I absolutely love it! We’ve had it for 18 months and use it daily, low maintenance, and works beautifully! Our favorite coffee to use with it is actually Lavazza Espresso.
How To Make An Iced Caramel Macchiato
I worked at Starbucks for 4 years in college and this is the exact way a grande size is made.
- Pour the vanilla simple syrup and milk into a glass.
- Add ice to the glass, filling it almost all the way up.
- Pour in the espresso.
- Top with a caramel drizzle and enjoy!
Am I Supposed To Stir This Iced Caramel Macchiato?
Traditionally this macchiato is enjoyed in layers instead of being stirred altogether. Of course, feel free to enjoy it any way you prefer!
How Can I Make This Drink Sweeter?
To make it sweeter you can add in more vanilla simple syrup or more caramel drizzle on top! Maybe even both if you like a really sweet iced macchiato!
It’s important to add the ice AFTER adding the syrup and milk. This helps the espresso “float” which gives it that signature macchiato look. Feel free to stir it all together though if you prefer it that way.
How to serve this Iced Caramel Macchiato Recipe
Can I Make This Recipe Hot Instead of Iced?
Yes, you can! To do so just skip the ice and steam the milk.
Should I Let The Espresso Cool Before Pouring It Into My Glass?
You don’t have to and I personally don’t! You should make this drink in a 16-ounce glass that way there’s plenty of room for ice which will cool down the espresso once added.
Iced Macchiato storage
If using espresso, I wouldn’t recommend storing this drink as it is best enjoyed right after making. If you must store it, the drink should be okay in the fridge for about 8 hours since this isn’t a hot drink that you’ll be reheating.
If making with cold brew coffee, it can be made in large batches and stored in the fridge for a few days.
Iced Caramel Macchiato Recipe FAQs
A caramel latte is made with caramel simple syrup whereas a caramel macchiato is made with vanilla simple syrup. The macchiato also has the espresso poured on top after the other ingredients are added, with a latte, it goes in the cup before the milk.
The are generally equal. It’s more about the order in which the ingredients are added to the cup.
Yes, I find them to be fairly sweet. But this is easy to adjust by using less or more syrup to suit your tastes.
This Iced Caramel Macchiato is a delicious way to enjoy coffee right at home! Skip running out for your favorite cup of drive-thru coffee and instead pour yourself another tasty homemade cup of caffeine by grabbing another coffee recipe to try!
- Cafe con Miel – This Spanish coffee is made with espresso, honey, and whole milk, ready in just 5 minutes!
- Mocha Coffee Punch – A creamy, delicious large batch drink that combines International Delight Mocha Iced Coffee with whole milk, vanilla extract, sugar, and vanilla ice cream!
- Whipped Coffee – Dalgona Coffee – Only 4 ingredients are needed to make this frothy, trendy beverage!
- Iced Coffee Bar & Homemade Creamers – Set up this easy coffee bar at brunch with the girls so that everyone can make their very own coffee just the way they like!
- Shaken Brown Sugar Oatmilk Espresso – An easy, tasty Starbucks copycat drink that’s made right at home using brown sugar simple syrup, espresso, oat milk, and cinnamon!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
Caramel Macchiato (Iced)
- 1½ ounces vanilla simple syrup I used Torani
- 8 ounces milk of choice, I prefer whole
- 2 ounces espresso 2 shots
- Caramel sauce for drizzle topping
- Add the vanilla simple syrup and milk to a 16 ounce glass.
- Fill almost all the way with ice.
- Pour in the espresso.
- Top with caramel drizzle.
- Nutritional information is an estimate using whole milk. To reduce calories you could use a non-fat milk or almond milk and sugar-free vanilla syrup.