This Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread is an amazingly tender quick bread recipe that’s made with cozy spices, making it the perfect choice for fall! Takes just 10 minutes to prep two loaves!
Don’t let Autumn pass by without baking up this tasty Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread Recipe! Begin your morning with a slice, enjoy it as a snack throughout the day, or bring a loaf to the family gathering!
Though you can do all of the above since this recipe yields two delicious loaves! Allowing you to save one at home while bringing the other to share at a fall gathering or even to Thanksgiving dinner!
Tasting A Slice Of This Maine Pumpkin Bread!
Taste: To bring the flavor to this bread, pumpkin puree combines with seasonal spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Making it so each bite fulfills your seasonal craving for cozy, spiced deliciousness!
Texture: This recipe may be a quick, homemade bread but its moist and tender texture elevates it to bakery-level status! Balancing out these soft slices are crunchy chopped walnuts!
The Convenience Of Quick Breads!
Wondering what a quick bread is? Quick bread is the culinary term used for recipes that produce a bread-like good without using yeast to leaven it.
Instead of yeast to leaven the bread, baking soda or baking powder is used to do so. This particular recipe uses baking soda!
The baked result of a quick bread has a moist, muffin-like texture. Whereas bread leavened with yeast like my Homemade Bread, have an airy, fluffy texture!
Both types of bread are absolutely delicious and have their place! But I really appreciate tasty, flavored quick bread that take very little hands-on time.
Allowing me to skip out the time it takes for yeast doughs to rise and get straight to eating a slice of baked bread!
How To Make Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
- Two loaf pans – I recommend using 5×9-inch pans for best results. However, you could also use mini loaf pans or even muffin pans. You’ll just need to adjust baking times accordingly for different sizes.
- Pumpkin Puree – You’ll want to use 100% pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. I prefer the Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin brand!
- Walnuts – I love the added crunch that the walnuts give to this pumpkin bread! You can mix the chopped walnuts into the batter or sprinkle them over the top before baking. Though feel free to leave them out altogether if you’re just not a fan of walnuts!
- Spices – What makes this bread so great is all the spices! I do know that those can rack up the grocery bill rather quickly though. So if you don’t want to buy a ton of different spices, feel free to swap whichever ones you don’t have on hand out for an equal amount of Pumpkin Pie Spice.
There’s always room in the day to enjoy a slice of pumpkin bread like this one! Though I’m also a big fan of Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread since it has a creamy swirl of caramel cream cheese filling!
And there’s always Pumpkin Banana Bread when I need to use up those overripe bananas! Luckily, that recipe also makes two loaves as well, just like this Downeast one!
How Do I Store Pumpkin Bread?
Tightly wrap your loaves with plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container. Then store the bread at room temperature and enjoy it for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze The Second Loaf To enjoy Later?
Yes, this bread freezes really well! Freeze each loaf individually by tightly wrapping it with plastic wrap and then with a layer of tinfoil.
Afterward, place the double wrapped loaf in a freezer bag and squeeze out the excess air. Place it in the freezer and enjoy it for up to 3 months.
Could This Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread Be Made Dairy-Free?
Yes, to make this recipe dairy free simply omit the milk and replace it with water. The bread will still turn out yummy!
Can Chocolate Chips Be Added To This Recipe?
Of course, chocolate chips are always a good idea! I’d recommend using 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips for this recipe!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Busy Family Recipes Facebook Community and share them there!
Downeast Maine Spiced Pumpkin Bread
- 1 (15oz.) can 100% pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup whole milk or water
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 5×9-inch loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla, milk, and sugar.1 (15oz.) can 100% pumpkin puree, 4 large eggs, 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, ⅔ cup whole milk, 3 cups granulated sugar
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.3½ cup all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1½ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- If using, fold in 2 cups of nuts to the batter.3 cup chopped walnuts
- Pour batter evenly into the two loaf pans and top the loaves evenly with the remaining nuts, if desired. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until a cake tester comes clean from center.
- Nutritional information is an estimate per loaf with milk and nuts.
- Omit the milk to make this recipe dairy-free.
Adapted from All Recipes.