This Black Forest Cobbler has a sweet cherry filling and a rich chocolate crust that’s finished off with homemade whipped cream!
Black Forest Cobbler
So I’ve really been craving cobbler lately, not sure why, but I made two last weekend, plus a crisp!
Now, I’m not talking about a standard ole’ Peach Cobbler, though there’s nothing wrong with that.
I’m changing your idea of cobbler up a little with this amazing Black Forest Cobbler.
Now, I don’t know about you, but I kind of love black forest.
Last year I made Black Forest Cupcakes and made Black Cherry Bourbon Hot Chocolate reminiscent of one of those gorgeous German cakes!
Oh and I’ve totally been daydreaming about these Black Forest Waffles from Baking a Moment, I can’t get enough of Allie’s stuff, check her out!
Anyways, back to this cobbler, because it deserves A LOT of attention.
The crust in itself is incredible (rich like a brownie), then add the cherry filling made with fresh black cherries and top it all with the perfect homemade whipped cream… oh lord, I’m done for.
I know what you’re thinking, chocolate and cherries don’t exactly scream summer.
Well let me tell ya, cherries are in season right now and you can never go wrong with chocolate, am I right?
If you’re still not convinced this is the perfect summer cobbler, scoop some ice cream on it, that should do the trick.
So go, go fast and get this thing in the oven.
Your whole family will love you for it, if you find it in your heart to share, that is.
Black Forest Cobbler
- 3 lbs Fresh Dark Cherries washed and pitted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter room temp and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Shavings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add cherries, 3/4 sugar, corn starch, lemon juice and almond extract to a large bowl and mix until evenly coated. Pour into a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, into a medium bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and the salt and mix well.
- Mix the softened butter in with your hands until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Stir in buttermilk, just until combined.
- Pour batter over the cherry mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
- Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
- Top with Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream and chocolate shavings.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
Comments & Reviews
Rebecca Hubbell says
It should be cup! Thanks for noticing the error, I’ve fixed it in the recipe card.
Michelle H says
How much chocolate chips? It just says 1/2. Is it half a cup? Half a bag?
Thank you so much, Joy! I’ll be by again this week!
Joy @ Yesterfood says
Rebecca, this will be one of my features at Treasure Box Tuesday this evening- it looks delicious, and your photography is gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with us! 🙂
Lou Lou Girls says
Oh Yum! I get so excited each week to see what you have been working on because it’s always AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this with us. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we can party!!!! Lou Lou Girls
Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh says
Oh my, this just looks so decadent. I just had lunch, and now I’m craving this! If I didn’t already have banana bread (baked yesterday) I’d pick the stuff up at the store this evening and make this tonight!