This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Hillshire Brands Company. All opinions are entirely my own.
These Spicy Blood Orange Lit’l Smokies sausages are an easy appetizer with an Asian flair and a hint of heat that’s perfect for game days!
We all know game day get-togethers are really just an excuse to eat delicious food. For me, football season is an exciting time because it means I can start experimenting with all gives of appetizer geared deliciousness!
In the last couple of years, the states have been hit with an Asian flavor wave, and I for one, LOVE IT! Originally, I was going to make a spicy plum sauce for these Lit’l Smokies® sausages, but there weren’t any plums at the store. I repeat, no plums at the store. What? Aren’t plums as standard as apples and bananas, aren’t they always there? Not when I need them, apparently.
So it was time to improvise, what could still give me some Asian flair and pair nicely with a bit of heat. That’s when I saw the bulk bags of blood oranges at Walmart! SOLD! I love blood oranges and knew they would blend beautifully with what I had in mind for these Lit’l Smokies® sausages!
And oh, how right I was! The blood orange juice and brown sugar brought in a zesty sweetness to match the onions, garlic, vinegar, spices. It made for a tempting little sauce that starts off vibrant and sweet and finishes with a touch of heat, now that’s good game day food to add to your playbook!
Since I was able to find everything I needed (minus the plums 😉 ) in one stop at Walmart, and this recipe finishes up in the crockpot, it meant more time for me to catch up with friends and family over some good eats before the game! Find more great game day and holiday recipes at www.talkaboutdeliciousmag.com!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed blood orange juice about 5 oranges
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 14.4 oz. packages Hillshire Farm® Beef Lit'l Smokies® sausages
- Chopped chives or scallions for garnish
- Add freshly squeezed blood orange juice, onions, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, and spices to a medium saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together corn starch and cold water, then stir into the sauce. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add Lit'l Smokies® sausages to a crockpot set of high heat, when the sauce is ready, pour it over the Lit'l Smokies® sausages and cook on high until the sausages register a temperature of 170 degrees F. About 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve straight out of the crockpot or transfer to a serving dish, garnish with chives or scallions, and serve with forks or toothpicks.
- Reduce crockpot to warm if any sausages are left in it.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
The Beef Lit’l Smokies® sausages can be found in the refrigerated section.
Share your thoughts!
Love this recipe? Share your thoughts with me below and leave a review! And don’t forget to connect on your favorite social platform below!
Comments & Reviews
aimee @ like mother like daughter says
These look amazing! Lil smokies are one of my favorite appetizers, and this spicy, citrussy sauce on them looks awesome!