These five-ingredient Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies are crisp, buttery, and perfect for the season premiere of Downton Abbey tonight!
Alright, I must admit, like Mad Men, I’ve only watched the first episode of Downton Abbey. I just wasn’t that intrigued, but everyone tells be I need to watch the whole first season before I pass judgment. With so many other things to watch on tv, it’s going to have to wait until some down time in the summer months. However, I love posting pop culture inspired recipes, so I decided to bring you this fun Downton Abbey inspired recipe and link party in anticipation for tonight’s premiere!
Okay, so a may not be a die-hard fan of Downton, but I do love me some tea and cookies. I post a lot of cookie recipes on here but have yet to post a recipe for shortbread cookies and they’re my favorite! I know, I know… I say every cookie is my favorite… but I REALLY love cookies!
Matt and I will literally kill an entire box of Lorna Doone’s in one sitting, they’re just so addictive. I always thought they’d be difficult to make, but when I stumbled across this three-ingredient recipe from Dine & Dish, I was floored! No Way! Just three ingredients and a half hour? That’s easier than a trip to the store and about $3.00 cheaper too!
With three ingredients, you’d think maybe they were lacking. Nope, not at all. These simple shortbread cookies are everything I dreamed they would be! I decided to adapt the recipe a bit by adding in Earl Grey Tea leaves and using unsalted butter and adding my own salt for more control over the flavor. My version is just 5 ingredients and can still be made in 30 minutes, no chill time required!
The end result is perfectly crisp shortbread cookies that are so buttery they almost melt in your mouth. The essence of Earl Grey tea takes them to a whole new level of flavor and fun! They’re so good, I’m not even willing to share, you’ll all just have to make them yourselves! They’re just the thing if you’re looking for a slightly sweet cookie fix or preparing for a Downton Abbey party!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Confectioners Sugar
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 bag Earl Grey Tea Leaves, 2 bags can be used for a stronger flavor
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter and confectioners sugar in a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Add in flour, salt, and tea leaves. continue to mix until a soft dough forms. The mix will be dry and crumbly at first but will come together.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until it's ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out cookies using a 2 in round cookie cutter.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20-22 minutes or until edges are a golden brown.
Slightly Adapted from Dine & Dish.
1 cookie is 3 WW PointsPlus.