This simple and easy Homemade Key Lime Curd recipe is just the thing to fill your cupcakes with, slather on your toast, or eat straight out of the jar!
Key Lime Curd
One thing I really wanted to focus more on this year was bringing you some kitchen basics. Recipes that can be used as a component of a larger recipe or stand alone.
Curd is one of those amazing basics that’s extremely versatile. You can use it as macaron or pie filling, spread it on English muffins or cookies, or lick it out of the jar. Just kidding, use a spoon 😉
Key Lime Curd is my favorite of all the curds. Once upon a time, I thought Blood Orange Curd would be pretty amazing, but after several failed attempts, the key limes reign supreme!
This curd is super simple to whip up (especially when your husband does it for you while you’re running around like a crazy person baking up 100+ cupcakes – Thanks, Matty)! Anyways, it takes just 15 minutes to make and it’s downright addictive.
P.S. This particular batch of curd filled some Key Lime Cupcakes!
Key Lime Curd
- In a small pot, off the burner, whisk together eggs and sugar until well blended.
- Whisk in key lime juice, zest, and salt.
- Place the pot on a burn on medium-low heat and stir fast and constantly with wooden spoon until mixture is warmed through.
- Add the butter a tablespoon at a time until melted and curd becomes smooth.
- Continue stirring constantly until curd thickens and looks almost creamy.
- The curd is done once it coats the back of a spoon.
- Optional Step: Strain curd through a cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl to remove zest pieces and any clumps.
- Tightly seal the bowl with a cover or cling wrap and place in the fridge until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, spoon about a tablespoon or a little less into the holes you cored out in the cupcakes.