These Key Lime Pie Cupcakes are light and fluffy, filled with sweet key lime curd and topped with a whipped vanilla lime frosting!
Can you say “HELLLOOOO, Summer”! That’s pretty much what these cupcakes are, though I actually made them back in March when summer was still but a dream. But it seems it’s finally arrived here in Maine. It was so nice to get back from Europe Sunday and walk off the plane to a gorgeous 75 and sunny day. Oh yeah, that’s right guys! I’m hoME!
As wonderful and amazing as our trip was, it’s good to be home and sleep in our own bed with our fluff ball of a golden retriever at our feet. Okay, now I’m dreaming. I think Shoester has been allowed to sleep in our room all of 10 nights since we brought him home more than 4 years ago, but there will definitely be lots of couch cuddles. I REALLY missed my pup, ya feel me? Anyways, later this week I’ll start posting about our trip, doing one post a week on each area we traveled, sharing all of the details on where we stayed, what we did and what we ate. Plus lots and lots of photos of the amazing scenery!
Okay, so let’s get down to business, THESE CUPCAKES! They’re incredible, so full of zest and bright key lime flavor. They’re a great summertime cupcakes, then again, any kind of cupcake is good any time of year, don’t you agree? These cupcakes are filled with a key lime curd and topped with a whipped frosting making them reminiscent of a key lime pie. I made these for a co-worker’s daughter’s birthday party and she said they didn’t last long, they were even more sought after than my Chocolate & Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes, and those are an all time favorite!
- Key Lime Curd Recipe
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1/3 cup Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix dry
- 1/4 cup Key Lime Juice
- Zest of 4 Key Limes
- Additional Zest
- Key Lime Slices
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line cupcakes pan with liners.
- Add cupcake ingredients one by one to a mixing bowl or stand mixer, mixing between each addition.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 17-20 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare Homemade Key Lime Curd.
- Once cupcakes have cooled and curd is finished, use a cupcake corer to remove the centers of the cupcakes and spoon in some curd to the center of each cupcake.
- Combine frosting ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and beat until light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto curd filled cupcakes and top with extra zest and a lime slice.
If you can't find Key Lime Yogurt, plain or vanilla can be used as a substitute, as well as sour cream.