Irish Fried Cabbage and Bacon is a simple dish that’s pan-fried in bacon grease and is loaded with bacon pieces, onions, and tender cabbage! A delicious side dish that’s ready to be enjoyed in only 25 minutes!
This is Easy Irish Fried Cabbage and Bacon is the perfect side dish to serve on St. Patrick’s day with corned beef or ham! It’s so yummy that you’ll find yourself reaching for this recipe on any holiday or even quiet family dinners all year round.
The crispy bacon adds smokiness to pan-fried cabbage, which turns golden brown in a cast-iron skillet. Onions, salt, and pepper lend a savory flavor, while a touch of brown sugar brings out the natural sweetness of the cabbage.
Think you don’t like cabbage? Take 5 minutes of your time to prep this dish by combining just 6 ingredients! After just 20 minutes of cooking, I’m willing to bet this delicious and easy recipe will quickly change your mind!
Cabbage is one of those things that people seem to either love or hate. Personally, I’m a fan of the stuff. Of course, it depends on how you cook it! So before you make a decision, you have to try this recipe!
Aside from all the delicious ways you can prepare it, I love how cabbage reminds me of one of my most memorable trips, which was to Ireland. Those rocky coasts and all the lush greenery are drenched in deep-rooted history.
Begin making this Easy Irish Fried Cabbage and Bacon recipe by grabbing a head of green cabbage and shredding it. Once the cabbage is prepped it’s time to cook thick slices of bacon in a large deep skillet.
After the bacon has finished cooking you’ll save the drippings in the pan but remove the bacon! When the bacon is cooled it will need to be chopped up before being added back into the skillet at the end of the recipe instructions.
The cabbage then cooks in the bacon drippings along with diced onions, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Once the cabbage has started to become tender those salty, crisp bacon crumbles are added back in!
How To Make Irish Fried Cabbage And Bacon
- Cook bacon in a deep cast-iron skillet until crisp. Then transfer the bacon pieces to a paper towel-lined plate but leave the drippings in the pan.
- Add the diced onions to the drippings and cook them until they become translucent.
- Stir in the shredded cabbage. Afterward, add in the brown sugar, salt, and pepper and cook until the cabbage becomes tender.
- Add the bacon back into the pan with the cabbage and cook the mixture together.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Used Leftover Boiled Cabbage In This Recipe?
Absolutely, that’s such a great way to repurpose leftovers into a new tasty dish! The only thing I would recommend doing is reducing the cooking time.
Could I Leave The Brown Sugar Out Of This Fried Cabbage?
I actually find that the brown sugar adds a great depth of flavor to the recipe. However, if you’d like to leave it out you certainly can.
How Do I Store Any Leftovers?
Just tightly cover them and store them in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. When you’re ready to enjoy the fried cabbage again you can reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What Can I Serve With This Side Dish?
St. Patrick’s Day can be filled with just as much seasonal flavor as the other holidays when delicious recipes like this Easy Irish Fried Cabbage and Bacon exist! Grab another recipe to try for even more Irish flavor!
- Irish Cream French Toast – A sweet way to start celebrating St. Patrick’s Day!
- Easy Homemade Irish Cream – The perfect additon to your cup of hot chocolate, coffee, or cocktails!
- Corned Beef Hash – Use up that leftover corned beef in this simple breakfast hash that the whole family will devour!
- Irish Potato Candy – This sweet treat is made with just 7 easy ingredients and ready in under an hour!
- Guinness & Champagne Black Velvet Cocktail – A simple, classy drink that’s creamy, rich, and slightly fruity!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
Irish Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- Cook bacon in a deep cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes. Use a slotted spatula to remove the bacon pieces and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the diced onion to the bacon drippings and cook until translucent, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage to the pan and toss to coat. Add in brown sugar, salt, and pepper and cook until cabbage is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the bacon back to the cabbage and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Brown sugar can be left out if desired.
- Leftover boiled cabbage can also be used, reduce cooking time.
- This recipe is common in many regions with many variations, this one is mine.