Crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside – these Homemade Fried Mozzarella Sticks are the epitome of cheesy indulgence! Deliciously seasoned and breaded string cheese deep-fried to crisp golden perfection.
Whether served as a party appetizer, game-day treat, or a guilty pleasure for cozy nights, these homemade fried mozzarella sticks elevate snacking to a whole new level.
Dip them in marinara sauce or your favorite condiment for an extra burst of flavor, and get ready to savor every cheesy, crispy bite!
You Will Love These Homemade Mozzarella Sticks!!
What if you could make a batch of mozzarella sticks that were just as good as the ones at your favorite restaurant? Piping hot, long pulls of cheesy goodness, all wrapped up in crisp, golden-brown breading that’s ready to dive into marinara sauce!
Life would be arguably better, huh? Good news, with this BEST Mozzarella Stick Recipe you now get to have all of that crisp, cheesy yumminess right at home! Enjoy a batch for game day, as an appetizer when friends are over, or to snack on whenever the desire hits!
For me to call these the best Homemade Mozzarella Cheese sticks they needed to be crispy with just the right amount of melty cheese in the middle AND easy-to-make with simple ingredients. And I’ve perfected that here with this recipe that will surely please all the mozzarella stick lovers everywhere!
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Large eggs
- Bread crumbs
- Panko crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Ground black pepper
- Mozzarella sticks (string cheese)
- Canola oil
These easy ingredients are broken down into separate bowls to create a dredging process. Through this process, the mozzarella sticks will be coated in breading that fries up to a deliciously crispy golden brown!
The dredging process begins with coating the mozzarella sticks in flour, dipping them in a beaten egg mixture, and lastly being covered in the breadcrumb mixture. Each mozzarella stick is coated twice to ensure a nice thick breading!
Mozzarella Sticks Substitutions and Variations
- Cheese Sticks – I have found that this recipe gives the best gooey cheese pulls with whole milk mozzarella. You can use low-moisture part-skim mozzarella sticks but I don’t find the cheese to be as melty and gooey. This recipe can also be made by cutting up a block of cheese into uniform-sized bricks.
- Cheese Flavor – If you enjoy experimenting in the kitchen feel free to make this deep-fried cheese stick recipe with a flavor of cheese other than mozzarella. Simply grab your favorite block of cheese and cut it up!
- Canola Oil – Feel free to use whatever neutral cooking oil you have on hand. I prefer canola oil however you can use vegetable oil, peanut oil, and even corn oil if you’d like.
- Air Fryer – Instead of frying these breaded mozzarella sticks in oil you can cook them in the air fryer! To cook them, place a few into the basket, being careful not to crowd them, then lightly spray them with olive oil or cooking spray. Afterward, cook the cheese sticks in the air fryer until they become golden brown.
How To Make Mozzarella Sticks
Step 1: Set aside a bowl of flour. In a small, separate bowl, whisk eggs together with water. Then, set this next to the bowl of flour.
Step 2: Stir together panko, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in another small bowl. Then, set this with the bowl beside the beaten eggs.
Step 3: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and then set it beside the breadcrumb mixture.
Step 4: Place each mozzarella stick into the flour mixture, making sure it’s completely covered. Then, dip it into the beaten egg mixture, completely cover it with the breadcrumb mixture, and set it onto the prepared tray. Repeat this with all of the mozzarella sticks.
Step 5: Now the mozzarella sticks will get a second coat of breading, except skip the flour this time around. Place a coated mozzarella stick in the beaten egg mixture and then coat it completely with the breadcrumb mixture. Then, place them back on the tray.
Step 6: Transfer the tray of double-coated mozzarella sticks into the freezer.
Step 7: Heat canola oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven until the temperature reaches about 325 to 350 degrees F. Line a plate with paper towels and place it next to where you will be deep frying the cheese sticks.
Step 8: Fry the mozzarella sticks until golden brown.
Step 9: Once the sticks are golden brown remove them from the oil and transfer them to the plate that’s lined with paper towels.
Step 10: Serve and enjoy with marinara sauce!
How To Make Mozzarella Sticks Sauce
To really drive these mozzarella sticks over the top serve them with a side of my homemade Marinara Sauce! It’s packed with flavor thanks to ingredients such as garlic, San Marzano tomatoes, basil, and oregano!
It’s made in under an hour, and you can even use leftovers to enjoy over pasta! The only additional step you’ll need to take with the marinara sauce recipe is to blend it with an immersion blender to give it a good dipping consistency for the mozzarella sticks!
How To Serve This Homemade Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Serve these homemade mozzarella sticks warm with a side of your favorite dipping sauce! We love ours with marinara sauce, however ranch, honey mustard, and even pizza sauce would all make for a delicious dipping sauce for these sticks!
If you’re serving up appetizers consider pairing these cheese sticks with some other tasty snacks like these Easy Stuffed Pizza Rolls or Texas Twinkies! And don’t forget some chips and dip! This Cheeseburger Dip and French Onion Dip both please crowds as much as these mozzarella sticks!
How To Store Fried Mozzarella Sticks
Store any leftover fried mozzarella sticks in an airtight container or Ziploc bag with the excess air squeezed out of it. Then keep them in the fridge to enjoy for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the mozzarella sticks for up to two months. Making them as convenient as a box of the storebought version but with better flavor and texture!
How To Reheat Mozzarella Sticks
I have found that the best way to reheat mozzarella sticks is to use an air fryer. To reheat them in an air fryer, set the temperature to 375 degrees F and cook them for 4 minutes and then turn them and cook for another 4 minutes.
If you don’t have an air fryer you can also reheat the cheese sticks in the oven. This can be done at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until hot and crispy.
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks FAQs
Yes, mozzarella sticks are the same as string cheese. Typically, these are found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store by the shredded cheese.
Yes, the coated mozzarella sticks need to be frozen before frying. If this step is skipped the cheese is likely to leak out of the breading before it has a chance to brown.
Therefore, freeze them before frying for best results!
Mozzarella sticks are done cooking when their breading is crispy with a nice golden-brown color.
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring spoons
- Parchment paper
- Baking tray
- Heavy skillet, dutch oven, or deep fryer
- Add the ⅓ cup all-purpose flour to a bowl and set it aside.
- Whisk the 3 large eggs and 2 tablespoon water together in a small bowl. Set this next to the bowl of flour.
- In another bowl, mix together 1 cup traditional breadcrumbs, 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper and set this next to the bowl with the egg wash.
- Prepare a tray lined with parchment paper and set this next to the bowl with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Cut the 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks in half and use tongs to cover each mozzarella stick in the flour. Dip the stick in the egg mixture, then completely cover it with breadcrumbs and set it on the prepared tray.
- When all the mozzarella sticks have had one coat of breading, they'll get a second coating of egg wash and breadcrumbs (no flour). Using the tongs, place each breaded stick in the egg mixture and then coat thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture (sides and ends as well). Then, place them back on the tray.
- Freeze the coated mozzarella sticks for at least 1 hour.
- Heat 1 cup canola oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven to a temperature of 325-350°F.
- Place a plate lined with paper towels next to the deep frying station.
- Fry the mozzarella sticks for a minute or 2 per side or until golden brown. Do not crowd the pan, as it will drop the temperature of the oil. Keep an eye on the temperature as you cook and adjust as needed.
- Transfer the mozzarella sticks to the paper towel-lined plate.