This really is the Best Ever Creamy Mac and Cheese! Made with sharp cheddar and Parmesan cheese, heavy cream and whole milk, richened with butter and kicked up with some mustard powder, you just can’t go wrong! This stove top mac and cheese recipe is on the table in just 25 minutes!
It’s the first Sunday in September and how could I let it pass us by without sharing a recipe for some super amazing comfort food. Now, I don’t know about you, but for me, mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food meal. Pot Roast is a close second, but that’s for another time.
But what makes the best mac and cheese? There seem to be a million ways to make it. With so many different cheeses, and pastas, and extras to make it with, I’m not sure you can ever really go wrong. But in my opinion, the best mac and cheese is the creamiest mac and cheese you can make on the stovetop.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love a good baked mac and cheese, the kind with a crispy bread crumb crust, oh man are those yummy. And if you’re looking for a baked mac and cheese, check out my Three Cheese Bacon Mac and Cheese or my Corn Mac and Cheese, both are absolutely delicious and perfect for potlucks!
But this mac and cheese, well, this is the creamiest mac and cheese, the best mac and cheese, the richest mac and cheese, the creamiest mac and cheese – wait, I already said that, I guess you’re starting to get the point!
So what makes it so creamy and amazing? Well, it doesn’t get backed and it’s made right on the stove top for one. But what I love most about it, other than the creaminess and the easiness, is that it’s made with good ole fashioned cheddar cheese and a bit of Parmesan cheese. No wild and crazy cheeses here, just the classics!
And when you pair that rich cheese with heavy cream, milk, and butter, you know you’ve got a recipe that’s going to be a real winner! A touch of flour brings them together for a thick and creamy cheese sauce and mustard powder adds a flavor kick you won’t be able to get enough of! Add in some elbow macaroni and BAM! you’ve got yourself a fantastic home cooked meal everyone will beg you to make again and again!
So just trust me when I tell you, you’ve got to make this creamy mac and cheese! Since it’s made on the stove top with very little prep required, this creamy mac and cheese is ready to go in less than 30 minutes! This makes it’s perfect for weeknights or a quick and cozy meal on the weekends!
Best Ever Creamy Mac and CheesePrint Pin Rate
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot and add elbow macaroni, cooking according to package instructions until al dente, do not overcook. Drain pasta and run over with cold water to stop the cooking process and set aside when done.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk until a roux forms. Stir constantly for about 4 minutes until roux turns a light golden brown. Gradually pour in the milk and heavy cream, whisking constantly.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring sauce to a low boil, whisk sauce constantly. Reduce heat so that sauce remains at a simmer and continue to whisk until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the pepper, salt, and mustard powder, and whisk until blended. Then whisk in the cheese two cups at a time, mixing and letting melt before each addition.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir until evenly coated, garnish with additional grated cheese, pepper and chopped parsley. Serve immediately for best taste.