Cool Whip Ganache is just as creamy, thick, and rich as a traditional ganache recipe, but it has about 25% fewer calories!
So last weekend I made a cheesecake for Easter dessert, but it was missing something. It needed some chocolate, everything can always use a little chocolate, right? I was also trying to figure out just how I wanted to decorate my cheesecake, so I headed to my good ole’ friend, Google, and began searching for some inspiration.
I may have started drooling when I came across this recipe, I mean the ganache topping just looked amazing. I was out of heavy cream and the store was closed, but I clicked over to check out the recipe anyway and was shocked. NO FLIPPIN’ WAY! The ganache was made with COOL WHIP, not heavy cream! And I had some right in the freezer!
Cool Whip Ganache
PIN IT TO YOUR RECIPES BOARD ON PINTEREST!
FOLLOW SUGAR & SOUL ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Therefore, enter Cool Whip Ganache – it might just be one of my favorite hacks ever! You know what the best part is – Cool Whip has 75% fewer calories per tablespoon than heavy cream. Which totally means we can indulge more and I’m a big believer in indulging!
I love ganache and all its rich chocolatey-ness. I could eat it straight from the bowl, no additional dessert fixings required. Especially my Bourbon Ganache, that stuff is divine! You can use ganache on cupcakes, cakes, cheesecake, and anything else that begins with the letter “C”. Just kidding, you can add it to anything! I highly recommend it on my Wacky Cake!
What you’ll need for this Cool Whip Ganache recipe:
- Bittersweet Chocolate Bar – Different types of chocolate interact differently with the cool whip, if you want a rich and decadent ganache that is thick enough to coat but that remains soft, it’s important to use bittersweet chocolate in the ratios indicated.
- Cool Whip – It’s important to use the Original cool whip, no lite or fat-free since the fat is what helps build the ganache.
- A Whisk – It’s best to use a whisk when making ganache as it does a better job mixing the cream or cool whip with the chocolate once melted.
- A Bowl – You will need a glass, microwave-safe bowl to make your ganache.
[su_button url=”https://amzn.to/2ftQo1U” target=”blank” background=”#708e44″ size=”5″ center=”yes” desc=”Buy Now!” rel=”nofollow”]Bittersweet Chocolate Bars[/su_button]
[su_button url=”https://amzn.to/2wIKayr” target=”blank” background=”#708e44″ size=”5″ center=”yes” desc=”Buy Now!” rel=”nofollow”]Whisk[/su_button]
Cool Whip Ganache
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Chop up chocolate and add it to a microwave-safe bowl with the cool whip.
- Microwave on high for 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until chocolate is fully melted.
- Remove from microwave and stir continuously until mixture turns a rich chocolate color.
- Set ganache aside to thicken as it cools, when it reaches the desired thickness, use it as you like!
This post was originally published on April 8, 2015, photos were updated in August 2017.