Sprinkling Magic Reindeer Food on your lawn is a fun Christmas Eve activity to do with the kiddos! You can make a batch in just a few minutes with pantry staple ingredients. Don’t forget to print out the adorable free labels with a sweet poem, too!
What Is Reindeer Food?
Want to start or maybe continue this fun holiday tradition with your family this year? I’ve got everything you need right in one place: a nature-safe recipe for Magic Reindeer Food and FREE Printable Bag Tags!
Sprinkling Magic Reindeer Food on my lawn on Christmas Eve was one of my most favorite traditions growing up. And now each year I make up a batch to carry on the tradition with my kids too! They love going out after opening presents to see if the reindeer enjoyed their treat!
We just love having little kids during the holiday season, and this is an easy activity and tradition to do to keep the magic of Christmas alive in young hearts!
You don’t even need to label the bags if you don’t want to, but they really are cute! And the labels make this great for bagging up and giving to friends!
Note: Please rewrite POV based on training. POV Questions to consider:
- What’s the problem you can solve?
- What’s the hook?
- Why does the reader need to come to you over another person?
- Emotional Connection. Value outside of a competitor.
Magic Reindeer Food Poem
For those of you who are new to the idea of Magic Reindeer Food, read this poem that’s included on the free printable tags that go with this recipe:
Under the stars of Christmas Eve night,
This Magic Reindeer Food will sparkle bright.
In guiding Rudolph to your house,
You’ll have to be as quick as a mouse.
Go outside and sprinkle it on your lawn,
And Santa will visit before it’s dawn.
How To Use Reindeer Food
When I was a child, we always opened our Christmas Eve presents, got into our pajamas, set out some milk and cookies, and then sprinkled the Magic Reindeer Food on the lawn right before bed.
It was always fun and exciting thinking about how Rudolph was on his way, and I was lending a helping hand.
So, I encourage you to mix up this easy recipe for Magic Reindeer Food and package it up for your children and other neighborhood kiddos. And keep this simple tradition alive. The recipe itself can, of course, be altered since Reindeer aren’t too picky.
But keep in mind that you don’t want to include anything in the recipe that could be dangerous to animals, like dried fruit, chocolate, glitter, etc. Stick with things like oats, nuts, and sugar-based products that will dissolve easily.
Magic Reindeer Food & Poem Materials:
- Cello Bags (4×9.5-inch)
- Card Stock
- Double Stick Tape
- Sunflower Seeds
- Holiday Cereal
How To Make Magic Reindeer Food
- Add the reindeer food ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Set aside until ready to fill bags.
How To Make Magic Reindeer Food Recipe Bags
1. Begin by printing your labels on cardstock and cutting them out.
Make sure when you print your labels that you print the page at 100%. Don’t check “fit to scale” or whatever it may say in the print dialog. The labels were designed specifically for the 4×9.5-inch cello bag size.
2. Add the reindeer food to cello bags.
3. Add double stick tape to the label.
4. Roll the tops of the bag down and secure the label to the bag.
Reindeer Food Poem & Recipe FAQs
This recipe doesn’t use glitter because it’s not safe for animals to consume. We recommend using sprinkles instead!
Outside for the animals to enjoy overnight and make it look like Santa paid a visit!
More Great Holiday Ideas like this Christmas Reindeer Food!
- Christmas Punch
- Classic Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- Want, Need, Wear, Read – Gift Giving Guide
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
This post was originally published in December 2016 and was updated in December 2021 with a fresh printable and new photos.
Magic Reindeer Food Recipe & Tags
- 4×9½-inch cello bags
- Double stick tape
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Divide the reindeer food between 4 cello bags.
- Add double stick tape to the bottom edges of the precut printable labels.
- Roll the tops of the bags down and secure the labels to the bags.
- Sprinkle magic reindeer food on the lawn on Christmas Eve night.
- Make sure to only use edible wildlife-safe ingredients in the mix.
- Get the printable labels here.