The ultimate guide for how to make Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream at home! I’m sharing all my tips and tricks for light, fluffy, and creamy peaks you’ll want to serve with every dessert!
Cover all of your favorite desserts in even more incredible homemade toppings by making my Chocolate Ganache that’s ready in 10 minutes using only 2 ingredients or this rich, sticky Slow Cooker Dulce de leche Caramel Sauce!
This Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream is just that, PERFECT! It’s light, fluffy, and holds its creamy whipped peaks beautifully as it sits on top of all of your favorite treats!
Maybe you’re asking yourself why you’d make Homemade Whipped Cream when you can just pick up a can of premade stuff at the grocery store. In which I’d reply, why let those gorgeous homemade desserts suffer the pain of an aerosol whipped cream?
Instead, allow them to shine even brighter by adding a fresh dollop of the good stuff that you can easily whip up right at home. All it takes is a little extra effort in the kitchen, 3 ingredients you likely have on hand anyway, and 5 minutes of your time!
That’s not a lot to ask when you’re left with amazingly delicious homemade whipped cream that truly makes your desserts taste even better! Whether you’re using it on cheesecake, pies, or milkshakes this whipped cream is sure to push all of your desserts over the top!
Need a stiffer cream for frosting? Add 2-3 tablespoons per cup of cream of instant Jell-O pudding powder in the flavor of your choosing.
Homemade anything can seem intimidating and maybe even daunting to try! But this Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe is actually super easy and fairly quick to whip up!
To make a batch you’ll need:
- Heavy Cream – It’s important to choose a heavy cream that has a high fat content.
- Vanilla Extract – Preferably real vanilla extract for the best smooth tasting flavor. You could also flavor your whipped cream simply by adding a different flavored extract!
- Granulated Sugar – Could use powdered sugar as well but I always reach for granulated sugar.
Once you have your whipped cream made all that’s left to do is decide what you’ll be putting it on! Will you put a spoonful on a homemade dessert? What about adding it as a sweet finish to your favorite breakfast? Personally, you won’t catch me with a cup of Hot Chocolate that doesn’t have this fluffy whipped cream on it!
How To Make Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream
- Place the bowl and beater attachments into the freezer to allow them to chill.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract to the chilled bowl after removing it from the freezer.
- Beat until large frothy bubbles start to form. Then increase the speed to medium.
- Add in the sugar a tablespoon at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go. Beat the whipped cream mixture until soft peaks form and then serve!
5 Easy Tips To Accomplish Perfect Whipped Cream!
1. Cold: It is absolutely essential to have a cold bowl, cold beaters (whisk), and cold cream when you make whipped cream. You want the cream to stay cold during the whipping process because the chill helps form bigger fat bubbles, resulting in a quicker, lighter, and fluffier whipped cream.
2. Fat: The fat content is crucial to making great whip cream, you want to use a heavy or whipping cream, you want a cream that has a milk fat content of roughly 30-40%. It’s the fat molecules that join together in the whipping process to create the fat bubbles that essentially are whipped cream.
3. Sugar: Let’s face it, cream without sugar just kinda sucks. I like 3 tbsp per cup, but you can adjust to taste. The cream will be sweeter in a liquid form than when it’s actually whipped up.
4. Vanilla: It’s Whipped Cream’s BEST friend! Use REAL vanilla extract, no imitation is wanted here. You want a real smooth essence of flavor in your whipped cream that easily pairs with anything.
5. Speed: Start slow, this reduces splatter and allows time for those bubbles to begin developing and building a strong base for your whipped cream. You can begin to increase the speed once the cream starts to thicken and you start adding the sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store
Store this Homemade Whipped Cream in the refrigerator for up to two hours.
Can The Sweetness Of This Whipped Cream Be Adjusted?
Absolutely! Following this recipe as written does deliver a sweeter whip cream so if your preference is a less sweet topping then just reduce the sugar.
However, if sweet whipped cream is your thing then feel free to increase the amount of sugar!
How Can I Stiffen This Recipe Up To Be Used As A Frosting?
To stiffen the whipped cream up just add 2 to 3 tablespoons per cup of cream of instant jello pudding powder in the flavor of your choosing!
Can I Add Liqueur To This Whipped Cream?
Yes, you can! Simply add 1 tablespoon per cup of cream of your favorite liqueur. Just be sure to add it in with the liquid cream.
How Can I Get Stiffer Peaks To Form?
Easy, just whip the whipped cream for an extra minute or so!
This Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream is the best topping for literally almost anything! Here are some delicious recipes that would pair wonderfully with this whipped cream!
- Homemade Strawberry Shortcake – Homemade cream biscuits are covered in chopped fresh strawberries then finished off with whipped cream!
- Chocolate Waffles – Rich waffles made from scratch that you can top with maple syrup, fluffy whipped cream, or even both!
- Strawberry Jello Pie – Prep this delicious pie in just 10 minues using ripe berries, strawberry jello, and a flaky pie crust!
- Chocolate Milkshake – Thick, rich milkshakes that are made with only 2 ingredients and ready to sip on in only 5 minutes!
- Apple Dump Cake – An easy 4-ingredient recipe that’s a delicious cross between an apple cake and an apple crisp!
Homemade Whipped CreamPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Busy Family Recipes Facebook Community and share them there!
Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Chill the bowl and beater attachments (whisk) in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and add cream and vanilla to the bowl, place sugar close by.
- Begin beating at low speed for about 2 minutes until you start to get large frothy bubbles. Then increase the speed to medium.
- Slowly add the sugar a tablespoon at a time at the 3, 4, 5 minute marks. If using a stand mixer, scrape down sides of bowl at the 4-minute mark.
- Beat for one to two minutes after the last addition of sugar or until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat, we're making whipped cream not butter here.
- Top your desserts and drinks with it and enjoy!
- Store covered in the fridge for up to two hours.
- You can use more or less sugar depending on your taste, this is a sweet whip cream as written.
- You can also substitute powdered sugar for the granulated sugar.
- Whip for an extra minute or so for stiffer peaks.
- Flavor your whipping cream with 1/2 – 1 tsp per cup of cream of flavored extract, add in with liquid cream.
- Spike it up with 1 tbsp per cup of cream of your favorite liqueur, add in with liquid cream
- Need a stiffer cream for frosting, add 2-3 tablespoons per cup of cream of instant jello pudding powder in the flavor of your choosing.
- Nutritional information is an estimate per cup of whipped cream.