Homemade Strawberry Shortcakes are made with sweet cream biscuits, macerated strawberries, and then finished off with fluffy whipped cream! A classic summer treat that’s ready in only 30 minutes!
One of the best parts about summer is all those unforgettable strawberry desserts just like these shortcakes! But I also really love Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with a buttery crumble topping and this Strawberries Romanoff made with just 6 ingredients!
For me, Homemade Strawberry Shortcakes is the official tip-off to summer! The combination of a sweet biscuit, with a heaping portion of ripe, juicy strawberries freshly picked right from a local field topped with whipped cream just can’t be beaten!
5 Reasons Why I Love This Recipe!
- Cream Biscuit! Once you try these cream biscuits you’ll never enjoy strawberries and whipped cream on a store-bought sponge cake again!
- Quick To Make! A sweet, refreshing treat that’s ready in just 30 minutes is always a keeper!
- Easy Way To Feed A Crowd! This is a dessert that is easily doubled to feed a good size crowd!
- Excellent Cook Out Dessert! Nothing says summer like a cookout so it’s only right to finish the meal off with a classic strawberry shortcake!
- Make It Ahead! You can easily make this dessert the night before and assemble it right before enjoying it. Who doesn’t love knocking things off their to-do list a day early?!
This Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe gets broken down into three easy parts! The sweet homemade biscuits, macerated strawberries, and the perfectly fluffy whipped cream.
To make the biscuits you’ll need to mix together all-purpose flour, heavy cream, sugar, baking powder, and salt. After the biscuits are dropped onto the prepared baking sheet they each get a little sprinkle of granulated sugar for an added touch of sweetness!
Next is the macerated berries! Just chop and slice the strawberries up, toss them in a bowl with granulated sugar and vanilla extract then stir them together. Macerating the strawberries softens the berries which releases some of their juices, coating them in a sweet strawberry syrup!
Lastly is the 3 ingredient whipped cream! All that’s needed for this is heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
How To Make Strawberry Shortcake
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir the cream into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Drop about 1/4 cup of biscuit dough onto prepared baking sheets.
- Press the tops of each biscuit down using the bottom of a glass and sprinkle them with sugar.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes or until they’re lightly browned.
- Chop up the strawberries and add them to a bowl with granulated sugar and vanilla. Stir together to combine.
- Beat together the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Assemble the shortcakes when you’re ready to serve by first slicing a biscuit in half. Then top it with sliced strawberries and a heaping dollop of whipped cream.
Strawberry Shortcake Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Freeze These Biscuits?
Yes, you can, and they actually freeze really well! Just bake them as directed and once they’ve completely cooled to room temperature wrap them individually in plastic wrap before placing them in a large freezer bag. Store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How Long Do The Prepared Berries Last?
I’d recommend enjoying them within 2 to 3 days for the best taste and texture. Just be sure to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I Make These Biscuits A Bit Less Sweet?
You definitely can if you’d like! Although, the biscuits aren’t overly sweet to begin with they just have more of a sweet profile than a traditional buttermilk biscuit. Try omitting the sugar topping that gets sprinkled on right before baking if you really want to cut back on the sugar.
When Summer finally rolls around I look forward to all of the sweet and fun desserts like these Strawberry Shortcakes! Check out more summery treats that you’ll have fun eating all summer long!
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes – Boxed cake mix baked into ice cream cones then topped with buttercream frosting and sprinkles!
- Peanut Butter Milkshake (Freak Shake) – Creamy nutty milkshake made with just 5 ingredients that are piled high with the ultimate toppings like cookies, candy, and whipped cream!
- Snickers Salad – Made with snickers, bananas, apples, and cool whip, ready in just 5 minutes!
- No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream – Homemade rich and creamy vanilla ice cream that doesn’t require an ice cream maker!
- S’mores Thumbprint Cookies (Just 5 Ingredients) – Easy to make cookies that have melty chocolate centers and are finished off with marshmallow fluff!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges and win prizes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups heavy cream cold
- 4½ teaspoons granulated sugar for topping
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream cold
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the cream and stir with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Use a large cookie scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup to portion out the dough and drop onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Use the bottom of a glass or fingers to gently press the top of the dough down to make a round biscuit shape.
- Sprinkle the top of each biscuit with ½ teaspoon of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare the strawberries by chopping and adding them to a bowl with granulated sugar and vanilla. Let sit while the biscuits cook and cool.
- Then prepare the whipped cream in a separate, large bowl, by beating together the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- When ready to serve, slice a shortcake in half and top with whipped cream and strawberries.
- Biscuits can be prepared up to 2 days in advance. They also freeze really well – bake as directed and allow to cool completely before wrapping them each in plastic wrap and placing them in a large freezer bag, squeezing out any excess air.
- The berries can be prepped 1 day in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- I recommend preparing the whipped cream fresh, but it can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours, if necessary.
- These are cream shortcake biscuits so the cream acts as the fat in the recipe so it’s important that it’s cold and doesn’t get overmixed.
- Since these are cream biscuits they are more on the sweet side than a traditional buttermilk biscuit. They aren’t dry as a scone but also aren’t as moist as a cake – they are the perfect in-between.
- If you want to reduce sugar in this recipe, you can omit the sugar topping.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
Leave A Reply!