Seasonal and comforting, this Bourbon Caramel Spice Cake is full of fall flavors, covered in a caramel bourbon cream cheese buttercream, and garnished with your favorite gingersnap cookies!
Bourbon Caramel Spice Cake
Bourbon Caramel Spice Cake. Talk about a fall explosion.
We are headed headlong into the cooler temps, and I am so excited about sharing this oh-so-extra delicious cake with you guys! It’s everything good and naughty about fall and you are going to LOVE it!
I’ve been on a real bourbon caramel kick this year, which is kind of surprising since I am a habitual caramel ruiner. 2 out of 3 times, I end up with burnt caramel, which is not totally unpleasant, but is definitely an acquired taste.
With a miraculously successful batch, I created this gorgeous cake along with a Bourbon Caramel Pumpkin Cake Roll that you can find on my blog, The Crumby Kitchen. It was a huge hit with my hubby…who ended up eating most of it in just a couple of days!
The cake itself is a tender spice cake, loaded with your favorite fall spices – it reminds me a lot of the cake slices we used to get in the school lunchroom. Only this has bourbon in it. And it’s slathered with the tastiest bourbon caramel cream cheese buttercream you will probably ever put in your mouth.
More Delicious Cake Recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake
- Black Magic Cake
- Caramel Carrot Cake
- Banana Cake
- Funfetti Cake
- Boston Cream Pie
To top it all off, I covered it in even more caramel. I suggest you make sure your sauce is cooled a bit more than mine was…it got a little messy as it dripped down the cake, and the dramatic effect I so wanted wasn’t quite achieved.
Don’t forget the gingersnaps on top! You can use store-bought, but I made my favorite homemade recipe and they were the perfect addition to the cake. Happy fall!
Tools You’ll Need for this Spice Cake:
- 8-inch Cake Pans – I really love Fat Daddio’s pans because the even walls give you cakes a nice sharp edge!
- Cake Pan Liners – These are my favorite things EVER, there’s nothing worse than a cake sticking to a pan and these genius little liners ensures that yours won’t!
- Bake Even Strips – Another genius baking product I LOVE! These strips go around the pan after being soaked to deliver beautiful flat-topped cakes, no domes here!
- Frosting Spatula – Trust me, it’s so much easier to use one of these than a knife or rubber spatula!
- Cake Stand – A cake this epic deserves to be shown off, display it on a pretty cake stand before serving!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Sugar & Soul (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #sugarandsoulco so I can see all the wonderful recipes YOU make from this site! You can also Subscribe to my Newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Boozy Bourbon Caramel Spice Cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 eggs large
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 cup buttermilk
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper. In a large bowl, sift the flour together with the baking powder, spices, and, salt.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the brown sugar and molasses and beat for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and bourbon. Beat in the flour mixture on low speed in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk, until the batter is just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes, then turn each out onto a cooling rack and let cool completely. Wrap each cake in plastic and store at room temperature overnight to develop the spice flavors.
- When ready to decorate, use a long serrated knife to cut each cake layer in half horizontally. Set on a work surface, cut side up.
- Center 1 bottom cake layer on a cake board or plate. Spread 1/2 cup of the Caramel Cream Cheese Buttercream on top, then cover with another layer, cut side down. Repeat with the remaining cake layers and buttercream. Crumb ice the cake, then refrigerate for 15 minutes. Completely cover the cake with the remaining buttercream.
- Pour 1 cup of caramel sauce on top of the cake and use a spatula or knife to spread it to the edges, allowing it to drip down the sides. Decorate as desired with gingersnap cookies.
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- Heat sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring to moisten all of the sugar. Let the sugar simmer until it begins to melt into a golden-colored liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Once sugar is completely melted, immediately but carefully stir in the butter for 2-3 minutes until completely melted. The sauce will bubble rapidly.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream, continuing to stir. The mixture will once again bubble and splatter. After the cream is mixed in, allow the caramel to boil for about 1 minute, then whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat and whisk in bourbon, vanilla, and salt. Cool to room temperature, then chill for 15 minutes before using.
Caramel Cream Cheese Buttercream
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and caramel sauce until well blended. Mix in powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt until fluffy.
Share your thoughts!
Love this recipe? Share your thoughts with me below and leave a review! And don’t forget to connect on your favorite social platform below!