This Black Magic Chocolate Cake is three layers of moist chocolate cake wrapped in The Best Chocolate Buttercream makes this one decadent dessert!
Black Magic Chocolate Cake
So I know I’m a little late to the party with this Divergent Food & Fiction post, like two-books-and-a-movie-late. And even though Dauntless cake is no more in the story, there’s no reason it can’t live on with us. In the books, Dauntless Chocolate Cake is a pretty important part of the story, okay, not really, but of course, it popped out at me!
Tris’ mother even tells her to have a piece of cake for her while she’s there, which is kind of her first clue that her family has the past full of secrets.
In the books, Dauntless Chocolate Cake is a pretty important part of the story, okay, not really, but of course, it popped out at me! Tris’ mother even tells her to have a piece of cake for her while she’s there, which is kind of her first clue that her family has the past full of secrets.
I really enjoyed the Divergent series, Matt and I both whipped through the books super fast a few years ago. I liked that the ending made it quite different than most in its dystopian genre. My mother has recently picked up reading again and it’s been awesome being able to talk to her about books. Some of the best connections can be made over a good book!
Anyways, she saw Divergent last year when it came out and mentioned she wanted to read the series. I gave them to her last month and last week I got this text from her:
Mom: So I just want to thank you for the depressing series of books you loaned me. That was so awesome (not) that… (sorry, no spoilers).
When I saw her in person next, she was a little riled up. I guess you could say she got a bit emotionally involved in the story! She did really enjoy it though!
So anyways, BACK TO THIS CAKE!!! This is the mother of all cakes and I pretty much know what faction I would pick, just for the cake.
This Black Magic Chocolate Cake is my interpretation of the Dauntless chocolate cake, it’s absolutely sinful. Dark, rich, chocolate flavor and a moist, soft, cake and is slathered up in my Best Chocolate Buttercream recipe for the perfect chocolate cake for any occasion.
The cake itself is actually slightly adapted from the famous Hershey’s Black Magic Chocolate Cake recipe many families have made from the back of cocoa packages since the 70s. I felt like it would be fitting for the Dauntless cake since it’s a well-known recipe that’s been around forever with good reason!
This cake is made with coffee giving it an ultra-rich flavor!
Plus it’s topped with my chocolate frosting recipe which is made with chocolate liqueur, so this cake is pretty much awesome in every sense!
Even if you’re not into the books, this cake is a classic and one that everyone will want to be served at every occasion!
Black Magic Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease 3 6 x 2 inch round or 2 8 x 2 inch round cake pans with butter and flour or cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Beat in eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, the batter is going to be very thin.
- Pour 2 cups of batter into each 6-inch pan or divide evenly between the two - inch pans.
- Bake 6 inch cakes for 30-35 minutes and 8-inch cakes for 40-45 minutes until toothpick comes clean from center.
- Cool in pans for at least 10 minutes and loosen from sides of pan before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost with The Best Chocolate Buttercream, starting with a crumb coat and chilling for 30 minutes before adding the final coating.
- Add chocolate sprinkles for the final touch.
- Hot water and instant coffee can be used in place of coffee. Hot water can also be used by itself but the cake will not be as rich in flavor.
- Adapted from Hershey's.