Pomodoro Sauce is a thick and flavorful Italian pasta sauce recipe made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes. An easy and delicious homemade sauce the whole family will love!
Pasta and meatballs is often a family favorite, but when you try it with this made-from-scratch Pomodoro Sauce, you’ll fall in love with this classic meal even more!
If you’re used to smothering your pasta with the jarred stuff, you may think that making a homemade sauce is complicated or time-consuming. Luckily, it doesn’t have to be either.
What Is Pomodoro Sauce?
This thick red Pomodoro Sauce is made with fresh tomatoes, zesty onion and garlic, aromatic basil, and spicy red pepper flakes.
How Do You Make Pomodoro Sauce?
Simply puree the tomatoes and basil in a food processor, add then add it to sautéed onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic, sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste! Yes, it really is that EASY!
When Matt and I traveled to Italy last year, we were lucky enough to experience, first-hand, that Italians have it right when it comes to food: freshness is key, and oftentimes, simplicity tastes best.
This authentic recipe reminds me of that memorable trip — and all that amazing food! I like to give my onions a bit of char to really bring those osterian flavors to life!
We eat pasta for dinner at least once every week or two. And Pomodoro Sauce is quick and easy enough to whip up on a weeknight after work. Topped with a generous helping of fresh parmesan cheese, this rich, hearty red sauce can inspire a dinner that’ll be ready to serve in just 20 minutes!
Homemade Pomorodo Sauce Is Cheaper Than Storebought!
By the way, have you ever noticed that buying your sauce can get kind of expensive? You’ll be surprised to know that this all-natural recipe is actually cheap to make.
This recipe should cost you less than $4.00 to make! And it makes more than a traditional store-bought jar of marinara sauce.
Plus, this tomato-based sauce is also quite healthy, and it’s perfect if you’re trying to watch what you eat. It’s so rich and flavorful with aromatic garlic and basil, you won’t miss the extra calories that come with a cream sauce — and you definitely won’t feel deprived.
Try adding Pomodoro Sauce on top of zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or pastas made with vegetables. It’s so good!
But this zesty sauce also tastes amazing on spaghetti, ravioli, ziti, lasagna… you name it! Try it in your favorite chicken or eggplant parmesan, or with the meatballs in my Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs!
If your family loves pasta dishes, using this homemade Pomodoro Sauce instead of jarred sauces is a game-changer. Once you taste the difference that a simple homemade sauce can make, you may never go back!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can ask questions and see what’s new with Sugar & Soul! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #sugarandsoulco so I can see all the wonderful recipes YOU make from this site! You can also Subscribe to my Newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
- Add olive oil to a large deep skillet and cook over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and crushed red pepper to the oil and cook until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes and basil to a food processor and puree, reduce the heat of the onion mixture and slowly pour the tomato mixture into the skillet. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or use immediately over freshly cooked pasta.
- This sauce is generally thick and hearty, if you prefer a thinner sauce, you can add the sauce back into the food processor and puree.
- Some also like to add a small amount of broth or water to their Pomodoro sauce to loosen it up.