These Chicken Gyros are packed with tender, marinated slices of chicken served in warm pita bread that’s loaded with fresh veggies and finished off with a layer of homemade Tzatziki Sauce!
This Chicken Gyro recipe is bursting with delicious flavors between the chicken marinade and Tzatziki Sauce! Ingredients such as olive oil, oregano, paprika, red wine vinegar, and garlic will please your palate with this Greek dish!
The fresh, healthy ingredients deliver a mouthwatering meal without a ton of calories! You can even make the chicken ahead of time to help out with meal planning and prepping!
Chicken Gyros Ingredients
Chicken breasts soak in a homemade marinade using greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic paste, oregano, paprika powder, salt, and pepper. Pick up Greek-style pita bread to serve the chicken, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion.
Once the Chicken Gyros are assembled Tzatziki Sauce is drizzled over the top to finish them off!
How To Make Chicken Gyros
Mix together the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic paste, oregano, paprika powder, salt, and pepper. Pour it over the chicken and stir then marinate covered in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Combine the ingredients for the Tzatziki Sauce and set aside.
Strain the chicken from the marinade and add to a skillet over medium heat. Cook until each side is light and golden before removing it to let it rest before slicing into long strips.
Toast the pitas while the chicken is cooking. Then layer them with romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and sliced chicken. Then drizzle Tzatziki over the chicken and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store Chicken Gyros
Store the chicken and tzatziki sauce separately in airtight containers for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
How Many Does This Recipe Serve?
Depending on how full you stuff the pitas this recipe will feed 4 to 6 people. If you’re serving a larger crowd just double the ingredients to make a bigger batch!
How Do I Prep Chicken Gyros Ahead Of Time?
You can let the chicken marinate for up to 8 hours before cooking it off and pre-cut the veggies! You can also make the Tzatziki sauce up to a day or two ahead of time for easier meal prep.
Since the chicken is good for up to 4 days after it’s cooked, you could always cook it the day before as well. If possible, I do recommend enjoying these gyros the same day with freshly cooked chicken at least once!
We always have chicken on our meal weekly meal rotation, but sometimes I get caught in a rut making the same recipes all the time! Try another tasty chicken recipe to add to your own weekly dinner times!
- Easy Shredded Chicken Tacos – Loaded with spices, fresh veggies, and cheese!
- Baked Cajun Chicken Skewers – Marinated in zesty cajun flavors and then baked to perfection!
- Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets – Breaded in crushed tortilla chips and rice krispies cereal!
- Honey Ginger Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner – An Asian inspired dish made with a tangy homemade sauce!
- Weight Watchers Apple Cider Pulled Chicken – Serve it in sandwiches, tacos, sliders, or over rice!
Chicken GyrosPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Busy Family Recipes Facebook Community and share them there!
Easy Chicken Gyros
- 1 pound chicken breasts thinly sliced into strips
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste or finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-6 Greek style pita breads
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes each cut into thirds
- 1 cucumber deseeded and diced
- ½ red onion diced
- Tzatziki Sauce for serving
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic paste, oregano, paprika powder, salt and pepper together in a small bowl and pour it over the chicken and stir to combine.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the chicken strained from the marinade.
- Cook on each side for about 6 minutes or until light and golden on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes then slice into long strips and set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the pitas in a skillet over medium heat for one minute on each side.
- Lay the pitas out and layer on the romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, onion and sliced chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tzatziki sauce ingredients until smooth, drizzle it on the chicken and serve immediately.
- The chicken and tzatziki sauce can be stored separately in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- This recipe serves 4 to 6 depending on how full you stuff the pitas.