Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes are homemade chocolatey, moist cupcakes covered in a rich strawberry cream cheese frosting and topped with juicy chocolate covered strawberries!
When chocolate and fresh strawberries come together they make for such a fresh but sweet and satisfying treat! Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Strawberry Mousse Cups are also worth biting into for that fresh, sweet dessert!
These Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes are like a stage showcasing everyone’s favorite Chocolate Covered Strawberries, so you really get two desserts in one! Once you’ve devoured that juicy sweet strawberry there’s still a chocolatey cupcake left to eat, it’s genius!
The moist chocolate cupcakes recipe makes a small batch of just 12 cupcakes! The creamy frosting is bursting with strawberry flavor making these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cakes perfect for any occasion!
Why This Recipe Works
- Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes – The cupcakes turn out more tender and moist when made from scratch rather than a box! Don’t worry, homemade cupcakes are so easy to make using pantry staples you likely already have!
- Cream Cheese Frosting – Sweet smooth frosting with a bit of a tang that really adds dimensional flavor to this dessert!
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries – These really dress the cupcakes up! Once you taste the juicy sweet strawberry clashing with the tangy cream cheese frosting and the moist chocolate cake, you’ll tuck this recipe away to use over and over again!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcake Ingredients
The cupcakes have basic ingredients such as flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
The Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting is made using cream cheese, unsalted butter, vanilla extract, seedless strawberry jam, and powdered sugar.
The Chocolate Covered Strawberries are fresh juicy strawberries dipped in a mixture of coconut oil and melted chocolate.
How To Make Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Prepare by preheating the oven and lining the cupcake pan with paper liners. Then whisk the sugar and eggs together in a medium bowl until light in color. Add in the vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract, mixing until fully combined.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, making sure not to over mix!
- Fill each of the cupcake liners with batter and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place them on a wire rack to allow them to cool to room temperature before icing.
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Add the strawberry jam and mix until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Slowly add in the powdered sugar.
- Whip the frosting together after all of the powdered sugar has been incorporated. Continue to whip until the frosting becomes light and fluffy then transfer it to a piping bag.
- Transfer the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a piping tip and frost the cupcakes once they have cooled.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Prepare by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and setting it aside. Wash the strawberries and make sure they are completely dry.
- Heat the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave until fully melted. Stirring between each interval.
- Dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate and then place them on the lined baking sheet. Place the chocolate-covered strawberries in the refrigerator until the chocolate has hardened.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate-covered strawberry. Enjoy!
This recipe is perfect for special occasions such as Valentine’s Day, baby showers, or bridal showers!
How do I store these cupcakes?
You can store these cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days!
Why is the frosting becoming thin?
If the cream cheese and butter become too warm it will begin to thin. To thicken it just place the frosting in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
Can I add sprinkles to the chocolate covered strawberries?
Absolutely! Once you’ve dipped the strawberries just cover them in sprinkles before the chocolate hardens.
These Strawberry Chocolate Cupcakes always hit the spot when I’m craving something sweet with a fresh, fruity flavor! Try another strawberry-filled recipe that I think you’ll love just as much as these cupcakes!
- Fresh Strawberry Pie – Just 10 minutes of prep time for this delicious pie!
- Easy Strawberry Short Cake – Made with fresh strawberries, homemade whipped cream, and sugar biscuits!
- Delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp – An old fashioned simple, sweet treat with a crispy, crumble topping!
- Classic Strawberry Scones – A tasty, light, and not-too-sweet breakfast option!
- Strawberry Cake – Filled with fresh, juicy strawberries and topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
Strawberry Chocolate Cupcakes
Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your board!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-count cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking, soda, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and eggs. Whisk until they have become light in color – about 30 seconds. Next, add in the vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract and whisk until fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix – it’s okay if there are a few small lumps.
- Fill each liner ⅔ with the batter. I use a ¼ cup cookie scoop to ensure that they’re all the same size.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely before icing.
- Add the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the strawberry jam and mix just until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar with the mixer on low speed.
- When all of the sugar has been incorporated, turn the mixer to high speed and allow the frosting to whip until it becomes light and fluffy – about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe the icing onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the strawberries and make sure they are completely dry.
- Heat the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds. You can do additional 15-second intervals until the chocolate has melted.
- Dip the strawberries in the chocolate and then place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Transfer the strawberries to the refrigerator for 15 minutes or until chocolate has hardened. Then place a strawberry on top of each of the cupcakes.
- If the cream cheese and butter become too warm, the icing will start to thin. Transfer it to the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes and it will thicken slightly.
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.