These Triple Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are bound to be a family favorite! These chocolate cookies are filled with chocolate frosting and then dipped in even more chocolate!
Chocoholics will go nuts over these decadent Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, which consist of two small chocolate cookies with a layer of chocolate frosting spread in between.
The sandwiches are then dipped halfway in melted chocolate chips and decorated with holiday sprinkles for the finishing touch!
Sandwich cookies are so fun to make, and a great treat to whip up for holiday cookie boxes!!
The adults can do the baking and the kids can dip and sprinkle, so you can make these scrumptious goodies and wonderful memories at the same time.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookie Ingredients:
For these Triple Chocolate Sandwich Cookies there are three different chocolate components!
I use rich unsweetened cocoa in the dough and milk chocolate chips to melt and dip the cookies once they’re baked. Then, there’s Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, a chocolate lover’s dream (you’ll be eating it by the spoonful!). And for decorating, choose your favorite holiday sprinkles!
You could also dip these in dark chocolate or white chocolate or leave the dipping out completely to make double chocolate sandwich cookies.
The rest of the recipe is made up of flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla extract.
How To Make Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
- use a medium cookies scoop to portion out the dough and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Use the bottom of a cup to press the balls down into discs.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes at 375 degrees F. After a few minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Pipe frosting onto the bottom side of half of the cookies and press the other half on top.
- Dip the cookies sandwiches in melted chocolate and let sit until the chocolate has hardened. Add sprinkles before the chocolate sets, if desired.
These cookies should be good for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature. You can freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container in the freezer.
Chocolate Ganache – Make the ganache according to the recipe and allow it to cool to a spreadable consistency.
Nutella – A little softer than other options, but you could mix it with powdered sugar to thicken it up a bit. You could also use my Nutella Frosting!
Peanut Butter Frosting – Everyone loves that combination of peanut butter and chocolate!
These cookies are a real hit and can always be customized to match any holiday or left plain for every day celebrations! If you’re looking for more delicious chocolate treats, I highly recommend these ones:
- No-Bake Chocolate Tart – A 5-ingredient dessert everyone loves!
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting – A classic that’s hard to beat!
- Brownie Cookies – These get rave reviews!
Chocolate Sandwich CookiesPin It For Later
Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your board!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Triple Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate buttercream frosting
- 11.5 ounces milk chocolate chips
- Holiday sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and beat just until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Measure the dough out into 1½ tablespoon portions and roll into balls with your hands. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet and use your palm or the bottom of a glass to press the cookies flat. They should be about ⅓-inch thick.
- Bake the cookies for 7 to 9 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, use a pastry bag and piping tip to add about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate frosting to half of the cookies, then sandwich the filling with the remaining cookies.
- In a small bowl, melt the milk chocolate chips on 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring after each one, until fully melted. Dip each sandwich cookie halfway in the chocolate and then placing them on wax paper to set.
- Before the chocolate hardens, decorate the cookies with holiday sprinkles.
- These cookies should be good for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature. You can freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container in the freezer.
- Nutella or another chocolate spread can be used instead of chocolate buttercream as the filling. Chocolate ganache would also be another great filling option.
- Dark or white chocolate chips can be used to dip the cookies in or you can leave that layer off completely or just drizzle it over the top.