Classic Cranberry Sauce is made from scratch using just 5 ingredients to make the perfect addition to all of your holiday meals! Only requires 20 minutes of hands-on time!
Side dishes like this one, Carrot Casserole, and Crockpot Cheesy Corn really complete the Thanksgiving meal nicely! And the best part is that no one leaves the table hungry when there’s a big spread of such delicious foods!
To me, it just can’t be Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without the Cranberry sauce! And this homemade version beats out the store-bought stuff every single time!
This sauce is made with fresh cranberries to deliver the best bright and slightly tart flavor we all crave in cranberry sauce! Add in some sugar and you’re left with a flavor that you certainly won’t find in any can!
Think Homemade Cranberry Sauce would just be adding more work to your holiday meal to-do list? Not to worry as that’s definitely not the case with this easy-to-make recipe!
Simply combine the ingredients, cook, and in just 20 minutes your work is done! You can store the sauce in the refrigerator and forget about it until the holiday meal hits the table!
In fact, you can even make the Fresh Cranberry Sauce days ahead of time! Making that holiday meal prep THAT much easier!
We love using this homemade cranberry sauce recipe in our Thanksgiving Leftovers Crescent Ring! It would be great for Leftover Thanksgiving Sliders too!
You may be shocked at how minimal the ingredients and time needed are to make this Classic Cranberry Sauce Recipe! This is great since there are a million other things to do when getting Thanksgiving Dinner on the table!
First, you’ll need the star ingredient, cranberries! I’d suggest grabbing a bag of fresh cranberries whenever you see them since they tend to sell out fast around Thanksgiving.
If you end up getting them a little earlier than needed you can just toss the bag in the freezer. When it’s time to make the sauce you can use the cranberries straight from the freezer. Thawing the cranberries isn’t required to make this recipe, it may just take a few extra minutes to cook!
This recipe is finished off with granulated sugar, 100% cranberry juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract are also needed.
How To Make Cranberry Sauce
- Combine the cranberries, sugar, juice, and zest in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Making sure to stir the sauce together frequently.
- Increase the heat while continuing to stir constantly.
- Remove from heat then allow the Fresh Cranberry Sauce to cool.
- Stir in the vanilla and serve!
Want to make a cranberry sauce with a little extra kick? Try my Bourbon Orange Cranberry Sauce!
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store Leftover Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Place the Cranberry Sauce in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. Enjoy the leftovers for up to 10 to 14 days!
Do You Serve Cranberry Sauce Warm Or Cold?
Cranberry sauce can be served either way so whatever your preference is! If you enjoy it warm just set it out a little bit before the meal begins!
What Do I Do If The Cranberry Sauce Is Runny After Cooling?
You can place it back on the stovetop to reduce the mixture down a bit more. Just be sure to stir constantly!
Can I Make This Recipe Without Sugar?
Unfortunately no, the sugar is necessary for getting the sauce to set up to its jellied consistency. The sugar also balances out the bitter, tart flavor that the cranberries tend to have!
What Can I Use Instead Of 100% Cranberry Juice?
You can easily swap that out for orange juice or even water!
It just isn’t Thanksgiving without scrumptious sides like this Homemade Cranberry Sauce! I recommend trying these other mouthwatering sides to go with this year’s Thanksgiving Turkey that guests will enjoy as much as this one!
- Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes – They’re roasted in the oven then mashed with butter, buttermilk, and dijon mustard!
- Stuffed Acorn Squash – This flavorful healthy side dish only calls for 15 minutes of hands on prep!
- Crockpot Cheesy Corn – An easy-to-make recipe that’s made with corn, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, and seasonings!
- Classic Parker House Dinner Rolls – Homemade buttery, rich yeast rolls that will easily be a crowd favorite!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – Everyones favorite side dish that’s ready in only 35 minutes!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges and win prizes!
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces 100% cranberry juice water or orange juice may also be used
- 2 teaspoons orange zest from 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the cranberries, sugar, juice, and zest to a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Increase heat to high for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes before stirring in the vanilla and serving.
- How To Store Leftover Homemade Cranberry Sauce: Place the Cranberry Sauce in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. Enjoy the leftovers for up to 10 to 14 days!
- Do You Serve Cranberry Sauce Warm Or Cold? It can be served either way so whatever your preference is! If you enjoy it warm just set it out a little bit before the meal begins!
- What Do I Do If The Cranberry Sauce Is Runny After Cooling? You can place it back on the stovetop to reduce the mixture down a bit more. Just be sure to stir constantly!
- Can I Make This Recipe Without Sugar? Unfortunately no, the sugar is necessary for getting the sauce to set up to its jellied consistency. The sugar also balances out the bitter, tart flavor that the cranberries tend to have!
- What Can I Use Instead Of 100% Cranberry Juice? You can easily swap that out for orange juice or even water!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
Leave A Reply!