This Bourbon Orange Cranberry Sauce is loaded with tart and zesty flavor! Made with fresh cranberries, orange juice, orange zest, and bourbon, this easy recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes.
What Is Cranberry Sauce Made Of?
Traditionally, Cranberry sauce is made by combining sugar and water with fresh or frozen cranberries and cooking it down on the stovetop. But that doesn’t mean we can’t take those classics and give them a fresh new twist to make them even tastier!
For the last few years, my family has skipped the standard canned cranberry side dish and basic homemade recipes. Instead, we’ve made this delicious homemade cranberry sauce recipe. It’s made with bourbon, orange juice (fresh is best) and zest, sugar, and fresh cranberries.
It doesn’t take too long to make either and the difference between it and storebought it too good to pass up!
How To Make Cranberry Sauce
- Add the cranberries, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and bourbon to a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to burst and sauce begins to thicken about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, the sauce will thicken as it cools. This recipe is best served at room temperature. So if you make it in advance, store in the refrigerator but let it sit out for a bit before serving.
And when you add a touch of citrus, like in this Bourbon Orange Cranberry Sauce, it’s pretty much heaven in a bowl! Orange and Cranberry are a perfect pair all on their own and one that transitions well from sweet to savory.
When you add bourbon to the mix, I prefer Jim Beam Black, you get a touch of caramel and warm oak that adds a nice smoothness to the zest and tartness of the cranberry and orange.
How Long Does Cranberry Sauce Last?
If you want to make it ahead or for some crazy reason there’s some leftover, homemade cranberry sauce can usually be stored in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.
This means you can make it ahead of time for the holidays. Simply pop it in the microwave to heat it up or let it sit at room temperature for a bit. If it’s really thick after being chilled, add a little more orange juice to soften it up.
This super easy cranberry sauce goes great on leftover turkey sandwiches too!
More Delicious Cranberry Recipes:
- Cranberry Orange Scones – A classic breakfast pastry with tons of flavor!
- Cranberry Orange Mimosas – Perfect for holiday breakfasts!
- Easy Cranberry Cake – Made in a cast-iron skillet!
- Cranberry Orange Meatballs – An easy appetizer recipe!
- Cranberry Mojito Punch – Always a must for the holidays!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Sugar & Soul (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #sugarandsoulco so I can see all the wonderful recipes YOU make from this site! You can also Subscribe to my Newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Bourbon Orange Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup bourbon
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients together and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to burst and sauce begins to thicken, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Bourbon may be omitted, just add additional orange juice or cranberry juice.