These Muddy Buddy Balls (aka Puppy Chow truffles) are everything you love about classic Puppy Chow except the ingredients are rolled up and dipped in melted chocolate! This Tiktok inspired recipe is made with just 4 ingredients and only 30 minutes of hands-on time!
If you’ve ever made a Tiktok recipe before then you know just how good they can be! If not, start by trying this Twisted Bacon or some Pasta Chips!
The taste of these Muddy Buddy Balls will bring your taste buds right back to the flavor of classic Muddy Buddies! They have a slight crunch from the rice Chex and still have that beloved powdered sugar finish that coats your fingers!
It’s no secret that I LOVE Puppy Chow! My love for the treat even blossomed into whipping up some delicious variations such as Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies and Harry Potter Butterbeer Muddy Buddies!
These Puppy Chow Truffles are inspired by Simply Unbeetable’s popular Tiktok recipe! But I did do some tweaking and ended up adapting this recipe from my own Peanut Butter Balls recipe!
My truffles are a bit sweeter than the Tiktok version and have more peanut buttery flavor. Because you can never have too much peanut butter, amirite?!
Well by combining only 4 ingredients you’ll be left with about three dozen truffles! So you’ll have plenty of taste testers to try out to determine if I am right!
This Muddy Buddy Balls recipe has an ingredients list similar to that of the traditional recipe! However, there are some missing which just makes for an even easier treat to whip up!
To make this Puppy Chow Truffle Recipe you’ll need:
- Peanut Butter – I opted for creamy peanut butter! But if you prefer you could also use crunchy peanut butter instead.
- Rice Chex Crumbs – To get the crumbs, toss the cereal in your food processor and pulsate a few times. Be careful though, we want crumbs not powder!
- Powdered Sugar – The Muddy Buddy Balls are finished off with a coating of this sweet powder! Giving them their traditional puppy chow appearance!
- Chocolate Melting Wafers – I made these using dark chocolate melting wafers to balance out the sweetness!
Puppy Chow normally pops up around the holidays! So these would be great portioned out into cellophane bags and tied off with a festive holiday ribbon!
Pass the treat bags out to co-workers at the office or even your neighbors! You could even just tuck a few into your holiday cookie tins!
Either way, you should definitely share the delicious goodness that these Puppy Chow Truffles are!
How To Make Muddy Buddy Truffles
- Mix the peanut buter, rice chex crumbs, and powdered sugar together until fully combined.
- Portion the mixture into a bite sized amount and roll into it into a ball. Continue doing so until all of the filling has been rolled up.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave until completely smooth.
- Dip each Muddy Buddy Ball into the melted chocolate and place them on wax paper to set up.
- Roll each ball in the remaining powdered sugar to coat.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store These Puppy Chow Truffles
Place the Truffles in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator. Enjoy them for up to 3 weeks!
Can I Freeze These Truffles?
You sure can! First, arrange them on a wax-lined baking sheet and place them in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer them to a Ziploc freezer bag.
Store the bag of frozen Truffles in the freezer for up to 3 months!
How Can I Get The Muddy Buddy Balls To Hold Their Shape Better For Dipping?
Once you’ve rolled the mixture into balls, place them on wax paper on a baking sheet. Then pop the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill the filling for 15 to 30 minutes.
This will firm up the mixture to allow for easier dipping!
Can I Use Milk Chocolate Melting Wafers Instead Of Dark Chocolate?
You definitely can! Just keep in mind that making that swap will make these Truffles extra sweet.
I love that Muddy Buddy Balls are an easy grab-and-go treat that’s handheld yet tastes as good as a pie or cake! Here are more of my popular Truffle Recipes that are just as delightful as these!
- Mint Cookie Truffles – A filling made with cream cheese and thin mint cookies gets covered in melted Andes mints!
- Gingerbread Truffles with White Chocolate – Two dozen spiced sweet treats that call for just 30 mimutes of hands on time!
- Cookie Dough Truffles – Edible, safe to eat cookie dough dipped in melted chocolate!
- Easy Oreo Chocolate Truffles – Tender, rich bite-sized treats made with Americans favorite cookie!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review; I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges and win prizes!
Puppy Chow Truffles (Muddy Buddy Balls)
- 1¾ cups creamy peanut butter1
- 2 cups Rice Chex crumbs
- 2 cups powdered sugar divided
- 15 ounces chocolate melting wafers I prefer Ghirardelli
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, rice Chex crumbs, and 1 cup of powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Use a medium cookie scoop, about 1½ tablespoons, to measure out even amounts of the mixture. Roll the mixture between your palms to form balls.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until fully melted.
- Dip the peanut butter balls in chocolate and place them on a parchment or wax paper-lined cookie sheet to set.
- Once set, roll the balls in the remaining cup of powdered sugar to coat.
- Crunchy peanut butter may also be used.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with me on Instagram @sugarandsoulco and follow on Tiktok @sugarandsoulco and Pinterest @sugarandsoulco for more!
Inspired by Simply Unbeetable.
Leave A Reply!