These Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies are made with marshmallow cream and hot cocoa mix before being tossed with mini marshmallows and snowcaps! Prep this festive treat in only 15 minutes!
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies are an extra festive treat mix that’s perfectly crunchy and sweet! Rice Chex cereal is coated in a melted mixture that’s made of chocolate chips, butter, peanut butter, and marshmallow creme before being dusted with powdered sugar and hot cocoa mix!
Stir in a generous amount of mini marshmallows and Snow Caps Nonpareils and you’ve just created an easy dessert that everyone will love! Enjoy it on a snowy day curled up watching movies with the kids, bring a batch to work to share with co-workers, or simply place it on the dessert table at all of your holiday gatherings and watch it quickly disappear among friends and family!
5 Reasons Why I Love This Recipe!
- Easy To Make! Only 15 minutes of hands on time is needed to make this treat! Just melt the ingredients, stir it onto the cereal, and toss it in the powder coating!
- Festive! The mini marshamallows and snow caps are an easy add-in to make this dessert festive and fun!
- Give As A Gift! Make it an edible gift everyone will want by portioning a batch out into mason jars, tying a pretty ribbon around it, and adding a homemade tag!
- Fun Variation! I love when classic recipes can be easily and quickly tweaked into fun variations such as this one!
- Mix Up The Add-Ins! Feel free to swap the mini marshmallows and snow caps out for your own favorite add-ins! You could use dehyrated marshamallows, snowflake sprinkles, or even crushed up Andes Mints!
This Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies Recipe is one that you’ll quickly have memorized in no time since you’ll be making this delicious treat so often! To make a batch you’ll need:
- Rice Chex Cereal – You could also use Corn Chex.
- Chocolate Chips – I used bittersweet chocolate chips but if you prefer you can also use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Butter – Unsalted butter but if salted butter is all you have on hand that’s ok too!
- Creamy Peanut Butter – Jif brand is my favorite!
- Marshmallow Creme – If you can’t find marshmallow creme, marshmallow fluff works well too! I just wouldnt recommend using homemade fluff for this recipe!
- Hot Chocolate Powder Mix – Use your favorite dry mix!
- Powered Sugar – Used to coat the chex!
- Fun Mix Ins – I love using mini marshmallows and Snow Caps Nonpareils!
How To Make Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- Add the rice chex cereal to a 2 gallon ziploc bag and set it aside.
- Combine the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter together in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the mixture in the microwave at intervals until smooth.
- Stir the marshmallow creme into the melted chocolate mixture until fully incorporated.
- Whisk the hot cocoa mix and powdered sugar together in a seperate large mixing bowl.
- Add the chocolate and marshmallow creme mixture to the ziploc bag of cereal. Carefully shake the bag until the cereal is fully coated.
- Add the hot cocoa mixture to the bag of coated cereal, close, and shake again to coat the cereal for a second time.
- Spread the Muddy Buddies out across wire racks to allow them to cool.
- Mix in the candy and marshmallows, enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store
Store the Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies in an airtight container and enjoy them for up to 2 days.
Can I Make This Recipe With Powdered Mint Hot Cocoa Mix?
I never have but you can absolutely give it a try! I’m willing to bet it comes out super delicious!
Do I Have To Spread The Muddy Buddies Out Onto A Wire Rack?
You don’t have to but I do find this step allows all the pieces to dry nicely before being stored away.
These Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies are a tasty and fun new way to enjoy the cozy flavor of hot cocoa! Grab another hot cocoa recipe that’s just as fun and delicious as this one!
- Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats – The classic family treat gets made with hot cocoa mix, ready in just 30 minutes!
- Hot Chocolate Bombs – A Complete Step-By-Step Guide on how to perfectly make Hot Chocolate Bombs, perfect for enjoying with the kids or for gift giving!
- White Hot Chocolate No Bake Cookies – Nut and gluten-free cookies that are made with hot cocoa mix, pudding, oatmeal, white chocolate, and more!
- Hot Chocolate Dump Cake – A 6 ingredient dessert that everyone will love, ready to enjoy in only 45 minutes!
- Hot Chocolate Cupcakes – Moist hot chocolate cupcakes are filled with marshmallow fluff and get covered in vanilla whipped cream frosting!
Hot Chocolate Muddy BuddiesPin For Later
CLICK THE BUTTON ABOVE TO SAVE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos!
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- Add cereal to a 2 gallon Ziploc bag and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter together in a medium microwave-safe bowl at 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the marshmallow creme until fully incorporated.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the hot cocoa mix and powdered sugar.
- Add the chocolate and peanut butter mixture to the bag with the cereal and shake until the cereal is fully coated.
- Then add the powdered sugar mixture and shake until fully coated.
- Place two wire racks on two large baking sheets and spread the muddy buddies out to cool. Allow them to cool for about 30 minutes before mixing with the candy and marshmallows.
- Store in airtight containers for up to 2 days.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips may be used in this recipe.
- Salted butter may be used in this recipe.
- Any brand of hot cocoa powder should work, just try to make sure you use at least 1.5 ounces.
- Feel free to add in other mix-ins like sprinkles, peppermint candy, etc.
- I like to cool these on a wire rack because it lets all the little tiny
- The marshmallows do soften up quite a bit over time. I recommend storing this in a cool area in an airtight container and enjoying it within 2 days.
- Each serving size is about 1/2 cup of the mixture.