This Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow recipe is an easy and addictive treat perfect for everyday celebrations and the holidays! Loaded with butter, chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar, and ready in just 15 minutes!
Muddy Buddies aka Puppy Chow
The first time I ever had Muddy Buddies was in college, Matt and I were working at Target and during the holiday season and I snagged a couple of containers of the stuff from the holiday section. Well, we easily became addicted and I bought up all of the remaining muddy buddies when they went 50% off the day after Christmas. Many also know this powdery treat as Puppy Chow.
I don’t know where the two different names came from. I’ve always referred to them as Muddy Buddies, and was wondering, it that a Northeastern thing? And is Puppy Chow my of the Southern or Midwestern name? Seriously, I want to know, what do you call them in your next of the woods (or beach or plains or mountains).
Ever since that Christmas, muddy buddies have become a holiday tradition. Target no longer makes them and once we realized just how easy they were to make at home, we started mixing up batches ourselves to share with friends and family all season long. But these are just for Christmas, they make an awesome snack all year long, especially on movie nights!
So I’m finally sharing my recipe for Muddy Buddies which is slight adapted and dare I say better than the Chex original!?!? But let’s talk about the basics and I’ll try to answer any questions you might have about this delicious treat!
What kind of cereal do you use for muddy buddies – puppy chow?
You can use a lot of different cereals for muddy buddies/puppy chow, but my favorite to use is Rice Chex.
How do you make muddy buddies/puppy chow?
It’s made by melting together butter, chocolate, and peanut butter and mixing with vanilla and Chex and then a final coating of powdered sugar.
Why do they call it puppy chow?
Many think it got the name because it resembled dog food…
Whether or not you’re making these for the holidays or just because, I hope you love them! You’ll be covered in powdered sugar but it will totally be worth it!
More Chocolate and Peanut Butter Treats!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake
- Buckeye Brownie Cookies
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
Muddy Buddies aka Puppy Chow
- Add butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips to a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 60 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir, there may still be some lumps of chocolate, that's okay, let it sit for a minute and they should melt because the mixture will be very hot.
- Pour half the box of cereal into a large gallon sized plastic bag, stir the chocolate mixture once more and then pour half of it into the bag over the cereal. Add the rest of the cereal and the rest of the chocolate mixture. Close the bag and shake to coat.
- Open the bag and add in the powdered sugar, reseal and shake to coat the cereal with sugar.
- Spread the mixture out on a large baking sheet and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or in a cool dry place for 4 days.
Pin this Muddy Buddies/Puppy Chow Recipe for Later!