Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes (With Surprise Filling) packs the center of rich and moist chocolate cupcakes with mini Reese’s Pieces! This exciting treat is then finished off with the best homemade peanut butter frosting!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes (With Surprise Filling) will be an instant crowd-pleasing dessert for their taste as well as that candy-filled surprise center! These cupcakes are incredibly easy-to-make yet show that you’ve really gone the extra mile from the miniature peanut butter cup on top right down to the surprise centers!
Bite into one of these cupcakes and enjoy every second of flavor and texture that fills your mouth! You get the light and fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting, crunchy mini Reese’s Pieces, and soft chocolate cupcakes all in one bite!
If there’s ever a chocolate peanut butter dessert combination to make, it’s THIS one, trust me! So grab a gallon of ice-cold milk and prepare to really WOW! your friends and family with this over-the-top hand-held dessert that will bring excitement to everyone’s face!
A delicious Peanut Butter Cupcake Recipe doesn’t get any easier than this one! Mostly because it starts out by combining a box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix with a box of Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding.
From there it gets doctored up by adding in eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil, whole milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Once the cupcakes are baked, then comes the super fun part!
Coring out the center of each cupcake and filling them with mini Reese’s Pieces! Then hide that surprise candy-filled center by covering the cupcakes in the BEST homemade peanut butter frosting!
Quickly whip up this frosting by combining just 5-ingredients: unsalted butter, creamy peanut butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Then just finish off each cupcake with a Reese’s Miniature!
*Tip Give these cupcakes an added WOW! by using a small frosting tip to frost the Reese’s Cup!
How To Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all of the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Fill each liner about 3/4 full with cupcake batter. Next, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Then allow them to sit in the muffin pan before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the peanut butter flavored frosting while the cupcakes cool by first creaming the butters together.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, alternating with tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Stir in the vanilla extract then whip on medium-high speed until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Core the cupcakes using a cupcake corer and fill the holes with mini Reese’s Pieces.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and top each one with a miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup!
Frequently Ask Questions
Do These Cupcakes Need To Be Refrigerated?
Since the heavy cream is stabilized by the confectioners’ sugar you don’t need to! They’re safe to eat for up to 2-3 days when stored at room temperature.
Where Can I Get A Cupcake Corer?
Check Walmart or Target! Sometimes even craft stores such as Michaels and Jo-Ann will have them too. If not, you can always count on Amazon!
Do I Prepare The Boxed Cake and Pudding Mix Before Adding Them?
Nope, you just open up the packages and add them in unprepared! Then continue following this recipe’s instructions.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes are an easy way to please the whole crowd, whether that’s family at home or friends at a party! Try another popular cupcake recipe that’s just as delicious!
- Golden Oreo Cupcakes – A doctored-up box cake mix delivers moist yellow cupcakes with a Golden Oreo base and vanilla creme frosting!
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes – Chocolatey homemade cupcakes topped in a rich strawberry cream cheese frosting topped with a chocolate-covered strawberry!
- Coffee Maple Bacon Cupcakes – Maple-infused vanilla cupcakes loaded with pieces of freshly cooked bacon then covered in a coffee-flavored whipped cream!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Champagne Cupcakes – Fluffy white chocolate cupcakes filled with raspberry filling and finished off with a luscious champagne buttercream frosting!
- Chocolate Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes – Rich chocolate cupcakes dipped in cinnamon sugar then topped with whipped chocolate frosting with cereal pieces!
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review. I love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos or join our Sugar & Soul Show-offs Community and share them there, where you can join our recipe challenges!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine all of the cupcake ingredients, making sure to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add a scant ¼ cup of batter to each liner so they’re about ¾ full.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake the cupcakes for about 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Use a cupcake corer to core the cupcakes, fill the holes with mini Reese’s Pieces.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the Peanut Butter Frosting as indicated in the recipe instructions.
- Pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Top each cupcake with a Reese's cup.
- For added wow, Use a small frosting tip to frost the Reese’s cup!