These Cookie Dough Cupcakes are made by stuffing an edible cookie dough into moist chocolate cupcakes and then topping them with a velvety peanut butter frosting, sprinkles, and a mini chocolate chip cookie!
These Cookie Dough Cupcakes are a sinfully rich and delicious dessert recipe, that will likely leave people fighting over who gets the last one!
So I think you can imagine just how good these babies are!
My mom, dad, and I all have birthdays within a 3-week period over the holiday season, and now that I’m older, it’s just easier to do one big birthday for the three of us than to try and add three more parties into the rest of the holiday craziness.
So this year, we celebrated a few weeks ago and I said I’d bring the cake. But instead, I made and brought these Cookie Dough Cupcakes. A recipe I’ve had in mind for quite some time.
They were a huge hit! My uncle, who doesn’t like chocolate, ate two! And my mom said she hid the extras and ate them for breakfast! And I must admit that I was pretty sad when they were all gone too!
This is my favorite recipe for chocolate cupcakes and the peanut butter frosting is a personal and reader favorite, so adding the edible cookie dough seemed like a great third-party to this tasty combo.
The cupcakes themselves are actually made from an adapted boxed cake mix, it’s heavily adapted and is definitely not a four-ingredient cake, but that extra add-ins make it so worth it for the amazing results.
The cookie dough is edible and doesn’t contain any eggs, it’s a chocolate chip cookie dough so you get an extra element of chocolate in this dessert recipe.
This recipe uses a half batch of my edible cookie dough recipe, so you can either just make half or you can use the other half to make Cookie Dough Truffles which are always a big hit at parties too!
Helpful Kitchen Tools For This Recipe:
- Cupcake Pan – You can’t make cupcakes without one!
- Cupcake Liners – I prefer to always use cupcake liners rather than baking the batter directly in the pan.
- Cupcake Corer – Okay, so you don’t NEED one, but I love mine and it makes coring cupcakes so fast. If you don’t have one, you can also use a paring knife to cut a small circle in the middle of the top of the cupcake and pull that part out.
- Large Piping Tip – This one is my all-time favorite tip for big and beautiful bakery piped frosting!
- Frosting Bag – I prefer to use disposable pastry bags because they make for easy cleanup!
- Cookie Scoop – Use a small or medium cookie scoop to ensure even amounts of cookie dough in each cupcake.
👋 Let’s Connect!
If you’ve tried this recipe please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and leave a review, I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to tag me – @sugarandsoulco – on Instagram and Pinterest with your photos! You can also Subscribe to my Newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- 1/2 batch Edible Cookie Dough
- 1 batch Peanut Butter Frosting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners with 1/4 cup of batter each.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick comes clean after being inserted into the center of the cupcakes.
- Remove from oven and move cupcakes to cooling racks to finish cooling.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the cookie dough according to recipe directions.
- Core out the top center of the cupcakes to make room for the cookie dough.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop equal amount of cookie dough from the batch and gently press into the cored-out section of the cupcakes.
- Prepare the frosting according to recipe directions and pipe onto cooled cupcakes, top with sprinkles and a mini cookie (optional).